Robert A. Rakochey
Rob Rakochey has practised dispute resolution and risk mitigation since being called to the Alberta Bar in 1990. He has appeared as counsel in all courts in Alberta and the federal court system, both as counsel for litigants and as an ad hoc prosecutor. With his extensive dispute background, Mr. Rakochey works with many clients to mitigate and avoid risks associated with their business activities.
Mr. Rakochey’s practice in dispute resolution and risk mitigation is varied. He routinely provides advice to developers, contractors (both general and sub-contractors), insurance companies, major financial institutions and captive lenders on a variety of issues, including construction matters, employment issues, occupational health and safety, contractual and commercial claims, insurance matters (both liability defence and coverage) shareholder disputes and oil and gas issues.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1989
Arbitration Course, Alberta Arbitration & Mediation Society, 2007
Intensive Trial Advocacy, University of Calgary, 1991
B.Comm., University of Alberta, 1986
- “Defamation Bytes: The Law of Defamation and the Internet,” Federated Press Seminar, 5th Internet Law Course, March 3 and 4, 2011.
- “New Rules of Court,” Legal Education Society of Alberta, September, October, November, 2010.
- “Advice and Direction on Issues Relating to the Provision of Expert Evidence in Forensic Matters,” Investigative and Forensic Accounting Conference, October 20 and 21, 2008.
- “Advising a Debtor — Liability and Ethical Considerations,” Seminar on practicing estate planning for the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, May 18, 2006.
- “The Risks of Playing 'Hardball' — Some Thoughts on Keays v. Honda Canada Inc.,” Lorman Seminar on Employee Leave Issues, May 3, 2006.
- “Occupational Health & Safety Law for Lone Workers: Compliance and Good Practice,” Petroleum Technology Alliance Canada Seminar on Wireless and Telecommunications Technology, October 6, 2005.
- “Acceptable Use Policies — Criminal Law, Civil Law and Practical Applications,” High Technology Crime Investigation Association, September 2005.
- “Boom, Bust, Liable — An Explanation of Liability Issues for Financial Planners and Suggestions on How to Avoid Liability,” Canadian Association of Financial Planners, June 20, 2000.
- Numerous other lectures and continuing legal education seminars for clients and the profession on various topics including insurance-related issues, issues relating to litigation preparedness, occupational heath and safety, class actions, commercial issues and matters relating to the Personal Property Security Act.
- “Parental Liability for Children’s Actions,” Lexpert Magazine, February 2004
Selected client work
Mr. Rakochey has recently acted for the following clients:
- A major oil and gas company in recovering in excess of $100 million relating to a breach of confidential information, as well as defending a multi-billion dollar counter-claim relating to allegations of intentional interference with economic activity
- An oil and gas testing company in defence of allegations of breach of fiduciary duty and confidentiality by a competitor
- A special committee appointed in a public oil and gas company with respect to concerns of impropriety by management
- A multinational and international group of companies with respect to breaches by certain employees and contractors including issues of fraud
- Several corporations concerning matters such as product liability, commercial disputes, real estate issues and employment issues
- The Alberta government on a representative action for claimants alleged to have been wrongly sterilized and abused while in the care of the government
- An insurance brokerage with respect to coverage disputes and claims of inadequate coverage in relation to a major hail claim for numerous automobile dealers
- Various corporations advising on occupational health and safety matters related to both serious injuries and deaths of employees
- A multinational corporation recovering funds related to a systemic fraud occurring over two decades
- A major Calgary foundation with respect to all of its legal issues including matters relating to its organization, liability of its member groups, employment issues and human rights complaints
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Insurance subsection
- Construction Law subsection
- Civil Litigation subsection
- Personal Injury subsection
- Insolvency subsection
- Mortgage Loans Association of Alberta
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Alberta Trial Lawyers Association
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- President, Alberta Handball Association, 2008 to present
- Counsel, The United Way of Calgary and Area
- Co-Chair, 2008 Canadian Handball Championships
- Founder of Business For Calgary Kids Foundation
- President, Rotary Club of Calgary North, 1999 to 2000
- Director, Rotary Club of Calgary North, 1993 to 1998, 2009-present
Norton Rose Canadian Technology and Intellectual property group host a half-day seminar on November 14 in Calgary..
November 09, 2012
A recent court decision makes it clear that management must maintain a healthy workplace culture. .
February 17, 2012
The National Post reported on Norton Rose Fulbright being honoured by Pro Bono Law Alberta (PBLA) with the 2014 Pro Bono Leader in Community Award. .
June 20, 2014
Norton Rose Fulbright has been honoured by Pro Bono Law Alberta (PBLA) with the 2014 Pro Bono Leader in Community Award. .
June 20, 2014