Spencer Persson joined the Los Angeles office in October 2004. He represents clients in the financial services, insurance, technology, manufacturing, gaming, consumer protection, and retail sectors in complex commercial litigation and class action matters.
2004 - J.D., University of Southern California Law School
1998 - B.A., cum laude, Government and Economics, Claremont McKenna College
While in law school, Spencer was the National Moot Court Team Captain and a Hale Moot Court Honors Program Finalist. He is admitted to the United States District Court for the Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He was admitted to practice law in California in 2004.
- Defended a homeopathic drug manufacturer in multiple, nationwide class actions asserting misrepresentation of product efficacy. The first of those cases went to trial in September 2015, and the jury returned a unanimous verdict in favor of the defense.
- Served as lead counsel in the defense of financial services firms and brokers both in court proceedings and before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, including a 5-day arbitration proceeding in January 2013 where the three person panel unanimously denied all claims in their entirety.
- Represented a Los Angeles cosmetics manufacturer in a contractual dispute where the plaintiff claimed he was entitled to a percentage of the manufacturer's gross profits (approaching $8 million) based on a purported introduction to a client. After a two-week jury trial, the jury returned a complete defense verdict.
- Represented a Hong Kong businessman in a commercial dispute against Las Vegas Sands, Inc. ("LVS") relating to services rendered in assisting LVS in obtaining its gaming license in Macau, China, securing a $70 million judgment following a thirty-three day Nevada state court jury trial.
- Represented one of the Big 4 accounting firms in an action alleging it failed to supervise the security of a major corporation's prize promotions, thereby permitting the theft of millions of dollars of prizes. Following extensive motion practice that eliminated all but one of the plaintiff's causes of action, the case was favorably settled for a fraction of the alleged damages.
- Represented a death row inmate in habeas corpus proceedings. The writ was granted by the United States District Court for the Central District of California following an evidentiary hearing to evaluate the credibility of witnesses testifying on behalf of the petitioner.
- Represented several corporations in actions alleging unfair business practices, including in a matter that resulted in a published California appellate decision that interpreted the limitations imposed by Proposition 64. That matter was dismissed due to the plaintiff's failure to allege that she had suffered "injury in fact."
- Served as lead counsel in three jury trials on behalf of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, Compton Branch, as part of the Trial Advocacy Project.
Memberships & Activities
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Rankings and recognitions
- Southern California Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2012 - 2016
"Breaking Bad? Liability for Sale of Defective and/or Recalled Parts," United Recyclers Group LLC's 2016 Training Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 28-30, 2016.
- California State Bar License
When not practicing law, Spencer spends as much time as possible with his wife and two wonderful daughters, while also attempting to travel, play basketball as long as his body allows, follow the Chicago White Sox and Arsenal FC, and keep up with his Economist subscription.
In a recent decision with implications for broker-dealers and other companies that do business in California, the California Court of Appeal considered ....
October 23, 2012
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced a total of 37 partner promotions and two promotions to the South African equivalent of director worldwide. .
April 29, 2016
On Jan. 1, Norton Rose Fulbright promoted 14 lawyers to partner in the United States..
January 06, 2016