Rafe A. Schaefer
Rafe Schaefer is a senior associate in the Houston office. Rafe focuses his practice on commercial litigation matters, including insurance, construction, professional liability, and energy disputes. For six months in 2014, Rafe was seconded to a London market insurance syndicate where Rafe handled US and international professional liability claims involving attorneys, accountants, architects, and engineers. Rafe is also a Certified Public Accountant by the Illinois Board of Examiners in 2012.
2012 - J.D., high honors, The University of Texas School of Law
2009 - B.S., summa cum laude, Accounting and Business Administration, Friends University
During law school, Rafe was honored as a member of the 2012 Chancellor's Honors Society and the Order of the Coif. Rafe also served as a member of the Texas Law Review and competed with the University of Texas' Interscholastic Mock Trial Team. While at Friends University, Rafe played defensive line for the university football team.
Rafe is admitted to practice law in Texas.
- Obtained take-nothing jury verdict in favor of a large oilfield services company in a class action lawsuit in Federal Court under the Fair Labor Standards Act ("FLSA") related to claims that employees were forced to work off the clock.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment rulings for general contractor resulting in favorable settlement during jury selection in construction dispute relating to more than fifteen alleged construction defects at Las Vegas high-rise casino.
- Obtained favorable settlement during jury selection for general contractor in construction dispute relating to water intrusion issues brought by Home Owner's Association in several condominium complexes in West Palm Beach, Florida.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of contractor in construction dispute relating to alleged failure of glass panels in a City of Santa Monica, California public building.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of a Fortune 50 insurance company in Federal Court in coverage litigation relating to professional liability exclusion in a D&O policy.
- Obtained summary judgment and attorneys' fees in defense of Houston-based construction company against former LLC member.
- Obtained favorable settlement in favor of construction company in dispute with subcontractor related to an improperly-performed horizontal directional drill project.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment and attorneys' fees on behalf of minority unitholder for damages caused by Company's breach of limited liability company agreement.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of claims and award of attorneys' fees under Texas Anti-SLAPP statute against defamation claims brought against client.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of attorney malpractice grievance against Texas attorney filed with the State Bar of Texas.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 50 home improvement store in Federal District Court and on appeal in the Fifth Circuit on $5 million contractual indemnity claims related to a joint venture project.
- Obtained favorable settlement in defense of attorney against claims of legal malpractice in a lawsuit filed in state court.
- Successfully obtained dismissal in favor of U.S.-based energy company in Arkansas Federal Court suit alleging damages caused by hydraulic fracturing activities.
- "Fourth Circuit Holds that CGL Policy Covers Data Breach Class Action," Data Protection Report, April 15, 2016
- "Will your reservation of rights letters enable you to preserve coverage defences?," Norton Rose Fulbright Insurance Focus, March 2015
- "State and Federal Regulation of the Transport of Oil Products by Truck, Rail, and Barge," 60 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute 4-1, 2014
- "Insurer liable for policy holder voluntary payments," Fulbright Legal Update, August 28, 2013
- "Harris County Bench Book," ALM Publication, 2013
- "State and Federal Regulations of the Transport of Oil Products by Rail," CLE, Houston, Texas, April 2015
- "Global Litigation School--United States," London, England, November 2014
- "Gulf Coast/Southeast Insurance Case Law Update," Windstorm Insurance Network Conference, Orlando, FL, January 2013
- "Texas Rule 9a: Dismissal of Baseless Causes of Action," CLE, Houston, Texas, January 2013
Memberships and activities
State Bar of Texas
Construction Law Section
Houston Bar Association
Construction Law Section
Lawyers for Literacy committee
HBA Speakers Bureau
Young Professionals in Energy
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program