Lauren's practice focuses on energy, environmental, toxic tort, and complex commercial litigation in state and federal court, including class action and multi-district litigation. Lauren has defended energy clients in connection with disputes related to hydraulic fracturing, disposal and injection wells, chemical exposure, federal and state environmental statutes, royalty payment practices, and contractual disputes. Lauren has also handled a variety of general civil litigation matters involving causes of action for breach of contract, fraud, negligence, nuisance, contractual and common law indemnity, breach of fiduciary duty, and minority shareholder oppression.
In 2015, Lauren tried 10 cases to verdict as a special prosecutor with the City of Houston's Legal Department through a 20-week attorney loan program. Lauren is also actively involved in pro bono work, having successfully represented dozens of clients in divorce and child custody disputes and serving as Chair-Elect of the Houston Volunteer Lawyers.
2012 - J.D., Columbia Law School
2009 - B.A., cum laude, English and Policy Studies, Rice University
2007 - Université Paris 1 - Panthéon-Sorbonne
While in law school, Lauren was a semi-finalist at the Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Competition and Notes Editor of the Columbia Journal of Environmental Law. She is admitted to practice law in Texas and in the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas.
- Defending energy companies against nuisance claims related to alleged loss of use and enjoyment of property;
- Defending exploration and production companies against claims related to alleged water contamination from drilling activities;
- Defending chemical suppliers against personal injury and wrongful death claims related to chemical exposure;
- Defending exploration and production companies against claims for property damage related to hydraulic fracturing and injection wells, including obtaining a favorable settlement in lawsuit involving claims alleging connection between such activities and earthquakes;
- Representing upstream and midstream companies against claims for underpayment of oil and gas royalties, including class actions and multi-district litigation;
- Defending clients in administrative proceedings challenging environmental agency actions;
- Obtained landmark summary judgment decision holding that hydraulic fracturing was not subject to strict liability in Pennsylvania;
- Obtained dismissal for drilling company in administrative proceeding challenging water supply remediation;
- Obtained dismissal for gas company against claims for breach of international and domestic exploration and production agreement;
- Obtained favorable settlement for close corporation in suit alleging breach of fiduciary duty and minority shareholder oppression; and
- Multiple pro bono contested divorce and child custody proceedings.
Rankings and recognitions
- Texas Rising Star, energy, Thomson Reuters, 2017
- Norton Rose Fulbright - Jaworski Award for Pro Bono Excellence, 2016
- Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) - President's Award for Outstanding Service, 2015-2016
- Pro Bono College, State Bar of Texas, 2013-present
- Co-author, "Preparing for Your First Trial," ABA Young Lawyers Division Litigation Section, 101 Practice Series, August 2017
- Co-author, "Nuisance cases against energy companies in Texas, Pennsylvania and other areas with significant or developing oil and gas exploration," Texas Journal of Business Law, forthcoming 2017
- Co-author, "Nuisance cases against energy companies in Texas, Pennsylvania and other areas with significant or developing oil and gas exploration," Norton Rose Fulbright whitepaper, October 31, 2016
- Co-contributing editor, Getting the Deal Through: Energy Disputes, 2016 & 2017
- "Oklahoma Quakes Trigger Legal Concerns for Energy Cos.," Law360, February 4, 2016
- "Kansas Supreme Court Limits Marketable Product Doctrine in Royalty Cases," Law360, July 13, 2015
- "Networking Through Pro Bono Work", TYL (a publication of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division), March 6, 2014
- "Reigniting Mexico's Energy Industry," Law360, February 7, 2014
- "A New Horizon?: The Need for Improved Regulation of Deepwater Drilling," Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, 2012
- Lauren is also a frequent contributor to Norton Rose Fulbright's Hydraulic Fracking Blog
- Panelist, "Pretrial Considerations," ABA Young Lawyers Division, July 24, 2017
- Speaker, "An Update on Oil and Gas Royalty and Class Action Litigation," June 15, 2017
- Speaker, "Energy Counsel," Texas State Bar Leaders Conference, July 25, 2015
- Moderator, "Surviving the Ups & Downs of the Oil & Gas Industry," HYLA Energy Counsel Committee, April 9, 2015
- Speaker, "Hydraulic Fracturing Litigation," Norton Rose Fulbright Energy Academy, November 2014
Memberships and activities
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, President
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers, Chair-Elect
- Houston Bar Association, Board of Directors
- State Bar of Texas
- Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP Pro Bono Committee (2015 - present)
- Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court (2015 - present)
- Junior League of Houston
- Daughters of the American Revolution, Tejas Chapter
In Texas, Pennsylvania, and other areas with significant oil and gas activity, nuisance law has long been an amorphous, catch-all cause of action, cloaked in “mystery” and at times even referred to as “a sort of legal garbage can.”.
May 01, 2017
Lawsuits over induced seismicity continue mounting with over 70 earthquakes shaking Oklahoma since the start of the year, and seven recorded above magnitude....
February 08, 2016
Seven Houston lawyers, Lauren Brogdon, Cristina Lunders, Darren Lindamood, Peter Tipps, Justin Tschoepe, Christian Menefee and Patrick McMillin, have been named to leadership roles within the Houston Young Lawyers Association for the 2016-2017 bar year..
July 12, 2016
Houston lawyers Lauren Brogdon and Darren Lindamood were honored with awards at the Law Day Luncheon hosted by the Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) and....
May 05, 2015