As an associate in the Energy and Infrastructure group, Lauren's practice focuses on energy, environmental, and complex commercial litigation in state and federal court, including class action and multi-district litigation. Lauren has defended energy clients in connection with disputes related to royalty payment practices, hydraulic fracturing, disposal and injection wells, federal and state environmental statutes, and contractual disputes including oil and gas lease agreements, purchase and sale agreements, international gas extraction agreements, and arbitration agreements. Lauren has also handled a variety of general civil litigation matters involving causes of action for breach of contract, fraud, negligence, nuisance, contractual and common law indemnity, breach of fiduciary duty, and minority shareholder oppression.
In 2015, Lauren served as a special prosecutor with the City of Houston's Legal Department through a 20-week attorney loan program. She tried ten cases to verdict and negotiated hundreds of plea agreements during that time. Lauren is also actively involved in pro bono work, having successfully represented dozens of clients in divorce and child custody disputes and serving on the Board of Directors of Houston Volunteer Lawyers since 2013.
2012 - J.D., Columbia Law School
2009 - B.A., cum laude, English and Policy Studies, Rice University
2007 - Université Paris 1 - Panthéon-Sorbonne
While in law school, Lauren was a semi-finalist at the Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Competition and Notes Editor of the Columbia Journal of Environmental Law.
She is admitted to practice law in Texas and in the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas.
- Defending exploration and production companies against claims related to alleged water contamination from drilling activities;
- Defending exploration and production companies against claims for property damage related to hydraulic fracturing and injection wells, including obtaining a favorable settlement in lawsuit involving claims alleging connection between such activities and earthquakes;
- Representing upstream and midstream companies in lawsuits involving claims for underpayment of oil and gas royalties, including class actions and multi-district litigation;
- Defending clients in administrative proceedings challenging environmental agency actions;
- Representing clients in connection with claims related to international customs and taxation;
- Obtained dismissal for gas company in lawsuits related to international and domestic exploration and production agreement;
- Obtained favorable settlement for close corporation in suit alleging breach of fiduciary duty and minority shareholder oppression;
- Obtained dismissal for drilling company in administrative proceeding challenging water supply remediation; and
- Multiple pro bono family law proceedings.
Rankings and recognitions
- Texas Rising Star, energy, Thomson Reuters, 2017
- Norton Rose Fulbright - Jaworski Award for Pro Bono Excellence (2016)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) - President's Award for Outstanding Service (2015 & 2016)
- Pro Bono College, State Bar of Texas (2013 - present)
- Co-author, "Nuisance cases against energy companies in Texas, Pennsylvania and other areas with significant or developing oil and gas exploration, Norton Rose Fulbright whitepaper," October 31, 2016
- Co-contributing editor, Getting the Deal Through: Energy Disputes, 2016
- "Oklahoma Quakes Trigger Legal Concerns for Energy Cos.," Law360, February 4, 2016
- "Kansas Supreme Court Limits Marketable Product Doctrine in Royalty Cases," Law360, July 13, 2015
- "Networking Through Pro Bono Work", TYL (a publication of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division), March 6, 2014
- "Reigniting Mexico's Energy Industry," Law360, February 7, 2014
- A Cross-Border Litigation Roadmap (101 Practice Series), ABA Young Lawyers Division Litigation Committee Newsletter, Fall 2013
- Book Review: My Beloved World, by Supreme Court Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Women in the Profession Committee Newsletter (American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division), May 2013
- "A New Horizon?: The Need for Improved Regulation of Deepwater Drilling," Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, 2012
- Lauren is also a frequent contributor to Norton Rose Fulbright's Hydraulic Fracking Blog.
- Panelist, "Beyond the Courtroom and the Closing Table: Finding Your Way in the Houston Legal Community," Houston Young Lawyers Association, June 30, 2016
- Panelist, "Life in Big Law," Texas Young Lawyers Association, June 9, 2016
- Speaker, "Family Law 'How To' with Tips from the Bench," Houston Pro Bono Network, March 24, 2016
- Speaker, Houston Volunteer Lawyers Pro Bono Coordinators' Luncheon, January 21, 2016
- Speaker, General Counsel Pro Bono Week Breakfast, Houston Area Women's Center, October 26, 2015
- Speaker, "HYLA Energy Counsel Committee," Texas State Bar Leaders Conference, July 25, 2015
- Moderator, "Surviving the Ups & Downs of the Oil & Gas Industry," HYLA Energy Counsel Committee, April 9, 2015
- Speaker, "Hydraulic Fracturing Litigation," Norton Rose Fulbright Energy Academy, November 2014
- Speaker, "Child Custody & Child Support 101," HAY Center, August 6, 2013
- Speaker, "Domestic Violence: Awareness, Prevention, and Resources" HAY Center, June 27, 2013
Memberships and activities
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers
- Treasurer (2016 - present)
- Board of Directors (2013 - present)
- Legal Lines Committee, Co-Chair (2016 - present)
- Speakers Bureau Committee (2013 - 2014)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- President-Elect (2016-2017)
- Board of Directors (2014 - 2016)
- Energy Counsel Committee, Chair (2014 - 2016)
- Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP Pro Bono Committee (2015 - present)
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Trustee (2016-2018)
- Fellow (2016 - present)
- Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court (2015 - present)
- Young Professionals in Energy
- Women's Energy Network
- Junior League of Houston
- Daughters of the American Revolution, Tejas Chapter
- French - Proficient
- Italian - Limited Proficiency
- Spanish - Proficient
In Texas, Pennsylvania, and other areas with significant oil and gas activity, nuisance law has long been an amorphous, catch-all cause of action, cloaked in “mystery” and at times even referred to as “a sort of legal garbage can.”.
October 31, 2016
Lawsuits over induced seismicity continue mounting with over 70 earthquakes shaking Oklahoma since the start of the year, and seven recorded above magnitude....
February 08, 2016
Seven Houston lawyers, Lauren Brogdon, Cristina Lunders, Darren Lindamood, Peter Tipps, Justin Tschoepe, Christian Menefee and Patrick McMillin, have been named to leadership roles within the Houston Young Lawyers Association for the 2016-2017 bar year..
July 12, 2016
Houston lawyers Lauren Brogdon and Darren Lindamood were honored with awards at the Law Day Luncheon hosted by the Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) and....
May 05, 2015