John S. Hollyfield
John Hollyfield has more than 40 years of experience representing clients in real estate related matters. He joined the Houston office in 1968 and became a partner in 1975.
John's legal practice includes mortgage lending; leasing (landlord and tenant); real estate development; construction (owner, contractor, lender and architect); sale and purchase of raw land; commercial and industrial properties; real estate brokerage and management; joint venture partnerships; mortgage foreclosures and loan workouts.
As a faculty member of the American Law Institute-Continuing Legal Education (ALI-CLE), John shares his knowledge of commercial real estate finance and commercial leasing with other attorneys by teaching continuing legal education courses throughout the United States.
LL.B, honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1968
Active Duty, United States Navy, 1961-1965
BBA, The University of Texas at Austin, 1961
While attending law school, John was a member of Order of the Coif.
He was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1968.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers USA, Texas: Real Estate, Chambers & Partners, 2004 - 2018
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2012 - 2014
- Texas Super Lawyer, real estate law, Thomson Reuters, 2003 - 2008, 2010 - 2011
- Who's Who Legal, real estate, Law Business Research Ltd., 2002 - 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 1984 - 2018
- Who's Who in American Law, Marquis
- Distinguished Texas Real Estate Lawyer Lifetime Achievement Award, State Bar of Texas - Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, 2005
- Frederick Lane award for Outstanding Service, American College of Real Estate Lawyers, 2015
- President's Award for Service, Houston Bar Association, 1986
John served as one of the editors of Modern Banking and Lending Forms (4th Edition) published in 1992 and updated in 1998 by Warren, Gorham & Lamont. From 2003 to 2009, he served as a volunteer editor of The Practical Real Estate Lawyer published by ALI-ABA.
In addition, he has authored several articles, including:
- "Letters of Intent," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, September 2009
- "Security Deposits in Non-Residential Leases," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, May 2006
- "Third Party Opinion Letters for Mortgage Loans," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, January 2006
- "A Model Commercial Sublease Agreement," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, July 2005
- "Negotiating Landlord Services," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, March 1998
- "Negotiating Tenant Allowances in Office Leases," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, March 1995
- "A Model Environmental Indemnity Agreement," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, September 1995
- "Negotiating Net Leases," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, January 1994
- "How to Draft a Real Estate Management Agreement," The Practical Lawyer, December 1991
- "Real Property Management and Listing/Brokerage Agreements," Probate and Property, 1987
- "Avoiding Contract of Sale Disputes by Thoughtful Drafting," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, May 1985
John has lectured at real estate law institutes sponsored by the Houston Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, The University of Texas Law School, South Texas College of Law, University of Houston Law Center, Southern Methodist University School of Law, Southwestern Legal Foundation, New York Law Journal, Anglo-American Real Property Institute, CLE International, American Bar Association and the ALI-CLE.
Memberships and activities
- Houston Real Estate Lawyers Council
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Former President (1990 - 1991)
- Anglo-American Real Property Institute
- Former Chair (2000 - 2001)
- American Bar Association
- Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section, Former Chair (1997 - 1998)
- House of Delegates (1998 - 2003)
- Houston Bar Association
- Real Estate Law Section, Former Chair (1985 - 1986)
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Life Fellow