Stephen C. Dillard
Steve Dillard is a partner in the Houston office. He served as the Chair of the Global Litigation Department through 2011. He has tried to verdict numerous cases in both state and federal courts. With a broad range of experience in complex commercial litigation, he has devoted a large portion of his practice, in recent years, to the defense of environmental litigation, groundwater contamination cases, chemical exposure, toxic and mass tort cases, including class actions. Steve's practice also focuses on the defense of claims arising from commercial operations, hydraulic fracturing, natural resource damages (NRD), E&P activities, landfills, pipelines, Superfund and hazardous waste sites and underground storage tanks.
J.D., cum laude, Baylor University
B.A., Baylor University
While in law school, Steve served as Editor-in-Chief of the Baylor Law Review.
A list of specific experience and client references is available upon request.
Rankings and recognitions
- Client Service All-Star, BTI Consulting Group Inc., 2015 (client nominated; one of 354 lawyers worldwide)
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Product Liability & Mass Tort Defense: Toxic Tort, The Legal 500, 2015-2016
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2013 - 2014
- Chambers USA, Texas litigation: general commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2005 - 2016
- Local Litigation Star, Texas: product liability, general commercial, Benchmark Litigation, 2013 - 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 1995 - 2017
- Lawyer of the Year, Houston: Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions Defendants, Best Lawyers, 2015
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2003 - 2016
- Texas Super Lawyer, Top 100 Lawyers in Houston, Thomson Reuters, 2007 - 2015
- Texas Super Lawyer, Top 100 Lawyers in Texas, Thomson Reuters, 2012
- Who's Who in America, Marquis
- Who's Who in American Law, Marquis
Steve's most recent publications include:
- Co-author, "Nuisance cases against energy companies in Texas, Pennsylvania and other areas with significant or developing oil and gas exploration, Norton Rose Fulbright whitepaper," October 31, 2016
- Co-author, "New Drilling and Recycling Regulations Proposed by Texas Railroad Commission Relating to Hydraulic Fracturing," Fulbright Briefing, October 4, 2012
- Co-author, "Analysis of Litigation Involving Shale & Hydraulic Fracturing," Fulbright White Paper, September 28, 2011
- Co-author, "Texas Legislature Joins Growing Number of States in Requiring Disclosure of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids," Fulbright Briefing, June 16, 2011
- Co-author, "U.K. House of Commons Committee Urges Support for Shale Gas Extraction," Fulbright Briefing, June 6, 2011
- Co-author, "Duke University Releases Study Reporting Methane Contamination in Areas of Natural Gas Extraction," Fulbright Briefing, May 11, 2011
- Co-author, "FracFocus Website Launched As Hydraulic Fracturing Chemical Disclosure Registry," Fulbright Alert - Shale and Hydraulic Fracturing Task Force, April 12, 2011
- Co-author, "Texas Supreme Court Defers to Railroad Commission's Interpretation of 'Public Interest' in Injection Well Permit Decisions," Fulbright Briefing, March 28, 2011
Memberships and activities
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Advocate
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Former Officer; Former Director
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- State Bar of Texas
- Pattern Jury Charge Committee, Chair
- Houston Bar Association
In Texas, Pennsylvania, and other areas with significant oil and gas activity, nuisance law has long been an amorphous, catch-all cause of action, cloaked in “mystery” and at times even referred to as “a sort of legal garbage can.”.
May 01, 2017
This timely seminar addressed the opportunities and challenges in one of the hottest areas in the U.S. energy sector today. Fulbright attorneys and ener....
April 27, 2012
Three partners from our US offices have been named BTI Client Service All-Stars for 2015..
February 11, 2015