Our global transport practice comprises 400 lawyers who deliver in-depth knowledge of the global aviation, rail and shipping industries. As one of the leading full-service legal practices in the transport sector, we provide clients with a comprehensive understanding of how the aviation, rail and shipping industries operate on a local and global scale.
We have a longstanding track record of innovation in the transport sector, with world-class asset finance lawyers experienced in all forms of finance and leasing structures, dispute resolution and litigation specialists with knowledge of all forms of court and arbitration forums, and a corporate capability spanning M&A, private equity, joint ventures, strategic alliances and other forms of cooperation. This enables us to work with clients in charting the way ahead for the transport sector.
- One of the few transport practices able to advise on all aspects of the aviation, rail and shipping industries.
- An extensive track record advising on some of the most complex and sophisticated legal matters across the transport sector.
- Close collaboration with Norton Rose Fulbright lawyers in energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; financial institutions; and technology, enabling us to provide support on any issues affecting our transport clients.
- World class asset finance lawyers in every major financial centre.
- A global dispute resolution team practiced in advising on multi-jurisdictional litigation.
- Focused knowledge of sustainability, climate change, carbon finance, airports, ports, light rail, environmental, planning and health and safety.
The below is an illustrative list of the projects and transactions that our lawyers have advised on relating to PNG. Prior to opening our office in Port Moresby, this work was undertaken with local counsel advising on PNG law aspects.
Our recent work
- Advising ship-owners in respect of time charter tenders for the Papua New Guinea LNG project.
- Advising Newcrest (previously Lihir Gold) on shipping and stevedoring operations in Papua New Guinea.
- Advising and representing insurers and their clients on major claims and litigation in National Court of Justice of Waigani, PNG including stevedore cargo damage claims arising out of major incident in Lai, damage to wharf claims and ship repairers liability claims arising from dry docking in Port Moresby.
- Advising on Nautilus Minerals deep sea mining project.
- Advising Larus Energy on offshore seismic survey operations in PNG waters.
- Our people have also previously advised on the following:
- Regulation of shipping in PNG including coastal trading licenses, registration of vessels including survey and insurance requirements.
- Advising US financier on export of LNG from PNG including ownership and rights relating to transfer of title under Goods Act.
- Charter party disputes in relation to export of products such as sugar, copper concentrate and other commodities from PNG.