Glenn Faass is co-head of our Brazil practice, founded in 2014, and is also one of the co-founders of the Colombian practice in 2010.
He practises principally in the area of energy and mining, but also focuses on international operations. He has primarily represented mining and energy clients in the former Soviet Union and in Latin America since 1992.
Mr. Faass was a resident in Moscow, and head of the Russian practice of Macleod Dixon (one of the two predecessors of our Canadian practice) from 1992-1997. In 1997 he moved to Venezuela to found the Caracas office, and in 2010 he moved to Bogotá where he served as managing partner until February 2014. Mr. Faass also co-founded the practice in Kazakhstan (1995), which is also now a part of our global practice.
Year of call
Solicitor, England and Wales 2005
Miranda State, Venezuela (international and Canadian law) 2001
Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil (international and Canadian law) 2001
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1979
- Colombian Oil & Gas (panel moderator), 3rd Annual Latin Lawyer conference on Latin American Oil & Gas, Rio de Janeiro, May 2012.
- “Upstream Oil and Gas Opportunities in Latin America” (co-presenter), Calgary, September 2011.
- “O Papel da Lei na Exploração e Produção de Minas: a Perspectiva Jurídica Canadense,” Brazilian Mining Institute’s 10th Mining Expo, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
- “Oil and Gas in the Former Soviet Union: Prospects and Opportunities,” a conference co-sponsored by Insight Information Inc. and The Canada-USSR Business Council.
- “Latin America Upstream,” “Fiscal Regime for Heavy Oil Project in Canada, Venezuela and Brazil,” Latin America Upstream-AIPN conference.
- “Colombia Ronda 2012: Challenges for Independents and Juniors,” Oil & Gas Year 2012.
- “Recent Legal Developments Provide Exciting Opportunities for Canadian Companies in Colombia,” September 2010.
- “Reform or Conform: Russian Production Associations Regroup,” East West Executive Guide.
- “Restructuring Russia’s Oil and Gas Industry” (co-author), Canada-Russia Business Council Bulletin.
- “Change As a Way of Life: The Russian Petroleum Sector,” Canada-Russia Business Council Bulletin.
- “The Framework of Venezuelan Mining Law” (co-author).
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013: Energy & Natural Resources (Foreign experts)
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms - Leading Lawyer in Financial and Corporate, 2013
- Who's Who Legal, Global Mining Law Firm of the Year, 2012
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2012: Colombia - Energy & Natural Resources; Energy & Natural Resources (Foreign experts); Brazil - Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Experts based abroad)
- Latin Business Chronicle “Latin America’s Legal Stars of 2012,” named as one of the top 50 lawyers
- The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers 2012
- Chambers Global 2011 (Global) in the area of Energy and Natural Resources: Mining - Experts Based Abroad (Spotlight Table)
- Chambers Global 2011 (Global) in the area of Energy and Natural Resources (Band 3)
- The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers 2011
Memberships and activities
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of England & Wales
- International Bar Association
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Canada-Brazil Chamber of Commerce
- Past Executive of the Resources Committee
- Past President, Canadian Business Association in Russia
- Past Director, Venezuelan-Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Past Director, International Lawyers Group, Moscow
Norton Rose presents an international panel discussion on business ethics and anti-corruption for those in industries such as mining, energy & infrastructure..
November 05, 2012
Offshore equipment suppliers who have maritime charters offshore Brazil, and their lenders, need to be aware of a significant new Brazilian tax issue..
September 24, 2014
How mining companies should react when faced with a corruption issue from internal investigations to government negotiations..
March 04, 2013
The 2014 Latin Lawyer 250 has listed Norton Rose Fulbright among the leading international business legal practices in Latin America, highlighting twelve lawyers....
June 23, 2014
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright today announces the expansion of its Latin America practice through the opening of an office in Brazil..
February 19, 2014