Miles Pittman is a commercial and energy lawyer in our Calgary office. He works closely with energy clients in the upstream, midstream and downstream sectors of the oil and gas business and also in the oilfield service sector, on mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, joint venture arrangements, gathering and processing arrangements and tax-effective structuring.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1993
B.A.(Hons.), McGill University, 1988
Selected client work
Mr. Pittman has acted as counsel for the following clients:
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Ltd., in its acquisition of Peruvian interests from BPZ Resources Ltd.
- Vepica Inc., in its acquisition of Canada-based Excelsior Engineering Ltd.
- Nexen Inc., the Calgary-headquartered global energy company and Canada’s fifth-largest independent oil explorer, in the $975 million sale of its heavy oil assets to Northern Blizzard Resources, a private Calgary company backed by private equity firm Natural Gas Partners
- Veraz Petroleum Ltd., in its licensing and farmout arrangements in the Uyacali basin in Peru, with PeruPetro and Petrominerales Ltd.
- Aecon Group Inc., the Canadian-based construction firm, in its acquisition of South Rock Inc., one of Canada’s largest private asphalt and paving enterprises, with follow-on acquisitions
- Barrick Gold, in its $410 million acquisition of Cadence Energy, and subsequent $75 million fill-in acquisition of oil assets from Daylight Energy Trust
- Compton Petroleum Corporation, in its $270 million sale of conventional oil assets to Birchcliff Energy Ltd.
- John Wood Group PLC and Wood Group Management Services, in its $125 million acquisition of IMV Corporation, with follow-on acquisitions
- Pogo Producing Company, in its US$1.8 billion acquisition of 30,000 bbl/d Calgary-based Northrock Resources Ltd. from Unocal Corporation and the subsequent US$2 billion sale of the company to Abu Dhabi National Energy Co. (TAQA)
- Petro-Canada in numerous matters, including the sale of its interest in the Brazeau and West Pembina gas facilities and associated reserves to Blaze Energy Ltd.
- “Securing US Energy Supplies - Investing in Canada’s Resources,” American Corporate Counsel Association, New York, November 14, 2006.
- “Rights of First Refusal in the Oil and Gas Industry: the Extinction of the Species,” Canadian Petroleum Law Foundation Seminar, Jasper, Alberta, June 15, 2006.
- “Force Majeure in Gas Purchase Agreements,” Quebec Energy Summit, Insight Information, March 2005.
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 - repeatedly recommended in Energy (Oil & Gas)
- Chambers Global Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers, 2008 - Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional)
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Past Chair, Natural Resources Subsection
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation
- Current Chair
- Vice-President and 2011 Chair, Jasper Conference
- Instructor, Kananaskis Seminar in Fundamental Oil and Gas Law, 2006-2010
Mergers and acquisitions activity is expected to stay high in 2011 as unconventional oil and gas resources, global consolidation in the sector and continued stron....
The world has a huge appetite for energy. In its recent publication 2012 The Outlook for Energy: A View to 2040, ExxonMobil forecasts global energy demand to incr....
According to a June 2011 report commissioned by the U.S. Energy Information Agency, Australia has 396 trillion cubic feet of technically recoverable shale gas res....
Miles Pittman talks about Ogilvy Renault’s Calgary office, the firm joining Norton Rose Group on June 1 and the strength of the legal market in the city and energ....
Lawyers Weekly reports on Ogilvy Renault opening a Calgary office with new partners Scott "Rusty" Miller, Nick Kangles, Miles Pittman, Ben Rogers and Michael Benn....