Timothy Baker is a construction, energy and disputes lawyer based in Cape Town. He focuses on infrastructure, construction and energy projects and represents developers and sponsors in renewable energy projects in the South African Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme. His particular area of expertise is in the drafting and negotiating of construction contracts (including EPC and O&M).
Timothy is also an experienced dispute resolution lawyer and is accomplished in the area of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), having resolved a number of matters through mediation and arbitration.
Timothy is also knowledgeable in all aspects of insolvency, including business rescue.
Prior to joining the practice, Timothy worked in the commercial litigation department of a leading Cape Town law firm. He subsequently took up a senior role at the London office of an international regulatory body for accountants and insolvency practitioners, handling matters involving insolvency law, regulatory law and professional conduct. Timothy also practised in a law firm in the UK before returning to South Africa.
Timothy holds a BSocSc (Economics) degree and an LLB degree from the University of Cape Town.
Selected client work
- Representing an international sponsor/developer in a dispute with its sub-contractor relating to two solar PV projects that form part of the renewables programme in South Africa. The dispute relates to on demand guarantees, letters of credit and termination of the sub-contracts.
- Representing a French sponsor/developer of two 75MW solar PV projects proposed for development in the South African renewable energy procurement programme with the negotiation and conclusion of EPC and O&M detailed heads of terms.
- Representing a local sponsor/developer of two 75MW solar PV projects proposed for development in the South African renewable energy procurement programme with compliance with the provisions of the RFP, bid development and the conclusion of EPC and O&M detailed heads of terms.
- Representing a Namibian construction and engineering company in a dispute with the Bank of Namibia.
- Representing a global engineering company in a dispute relating to the Green Point stadium in Cape Town.