Our London structured trade and commodity finance team has a pre-eminent reputation for advising on commodity and trade finance transactions in the UK and across the globe, particularly in emerging markets. We work closely with our colleagues across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia. We advise financial institutions, commodity producers, traders, blue-chip corporates, ECAs and other multilateral institutions, all of whom rely on our understanding of financing issues and the legal framework around the world.
“They are always strong, engaged and enthusiastic.” Chambers UK, 2016
We have an extensive track record in the financing of the production, export, transport, warehousing and sale and purchase of commodities including oil and oil products; bio fuels; chemicals; precious and base metals; soft commodities such as coffee, sugar, cocoa, grains, paper, cotton and textiles; and related assets such as carbon credits. Our in-depth knowledge of innovative structured trade and commodity finance transactions enables us to provide clients with the necessary insight to tailor financings to their particular requirements.
The practice is complemented by our strengths in mining, shipping and transportation, derivatives and project finance, and uniquely enables us to offer you a complete service package within the one practice.
Our areas of work include
- barter and counter-trade
- borrowing base financings
- post-import financing
- pre-export financing
- pre-payment financing
- pre-production financing
- receivables purchase and factoring transactions
- reserve based lending
- stock and inventory financing and ownership structures
- synthetic securitisations
- tolling and processing.
Our recent work
- Advising The Standard Bank of South Africa on £102.5m multi-jurisdictional multi-product borrowing base facility.
- Advising Royal Bank of Scotland on the oil inventory financing of the $383m purchase of mandatory oil stocks from Polish oil refiner PKN Orlen.
Awards and accolades
- Best Commodity Trade Finance Law Firm, 2012, Trade Finance Awards
- Global Mining Law Firm of the Year, 2012, Who’s Who Legal Awards
- Commodity/ Trade Finance Law Firm of the Year 2012, 2011, Trade Finance Magazine