Our London insolvency team has considerable experience of acting for financial institutions and other creditors, as well as insolvency office holders appointed to proceedings throughout the UK. We also work collaboratively with our insolvency practitioners based in Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
As part of our international restructuring and insolvency group, the team comprises lawyers focused on insolvency and insolvency litigation, and is also able to call upon the experience of of our colleagues throughout our other practice areas.
- Particular experience across our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
- Experience at the forefront of complex cross-border insolvency work and involvement in some of the most newsworthy transactions throughout the globe.
Our areas of work include
- asset tracing
- debt restructuring
- distressed M&A
- equity capital markets raising
- formal insolvency.
Our recent work
- Advising the US Trustee of Lehman Brothers Inc. (LBI) in relation to the protection of his interests in the UK and certain other jurisdictions outside the US. In particular, we have (1) represented the Trustee in the Supreme Court in the “Client Money” litigation concerning the segregation, ownership and identification of funds held by Lehman Europe for its clients; and (2) in the High Court in the early stages of the “Extended Liens” case concerning the validity and effectiveness of security interests purportedly created in favour of affiliated companies by standard Lehman Europe custody agreements.
- Advising KPMG Inc. in cross-border insolvency proceedings involving Aero Inventory UK Ltd, leading suppliers of aircraft parts to airlines around the world. On behalf of KPMG Inc, we brought a motion arguing that the proceeds of a $77m preference action would be subject to the rights of secured creditors.