Over recent decades there has been a growing understanding of the importance of environmental issues for successful business operations. Issues such as pollution or contamination, habitat protection, climate change, sustainability, energy efficiency, waste minimisation and use of renewables have become the focus of legislation at national, European and international level.
“Norton Rose Fulbright’s environment team has ‘strong and varied knowledge’ of the sector, and its advice ‘always recognises and complements the commercial reality of life’.” Legal 500 UK, 2013
Businesses (as well as Directors and other officers) can no longer afford to ignore these issues as non-compliance may lead to criminal liability (including directors and officers risk), and significant financial and reputational issues.
Our market-leading global environment team understands that clients seeking high quality legal advice require environmental lawyers with in-depth legal understanding, both nationally and internationally. We offer broad regulatory experience and commercial awareness, in addition to an appreciation of scientific, political and economic processes and risk management.
Our London team forms part of our dedicated global network of lawyers throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia. We collaborate with in house client teams and technical practitioners to provide commercial and pragmatic advice across varied industry sectors including: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
Our areas of work include
- defence of civil and criminal proceedings
- judicial review/regulatory appeals
- land contamination and remediation
- environmental Permits, licences, consents and appeals
- policy advice
- D&O liabilities
- lender risks and liabilities
- incident investigations
- 24/7 response and advice service for environmental incidents
- implications of developments on sensitive habitats
- sustainability and energy efficiency issues
- public/private nuisance (e.g. noise, dust, odour)
- EIR/FOIA requests
- development/regeneration projects
- offshore installations
- environmental insurance policies.
Our recent work
- Advising on the acquisition of the former Battersea Power Station site in London.
- Advising on Europe’s largest remediation project on the River Thames, London Gateway (a port and logistics park development on a former oil refinery site).
- Advising the European Commission in new and developing areas of law (such as CCS and shale gas fracking).
- Advising on global renewable and infrastructure matters (such as wind farm developments and waste to energy projects).
Awards and Accolades
- “Sustained Excellence in Environmental Law - UK” , 2013, Acquisition International
- UK Environmental Law Firm of the Year, 2011, Acquisition International A1 Legal Awards
- Caroline May recognised in the Guide to the World’s Leading Environmental Lawyers