Our global safety practice is recognised as “exceptionally strong” by Chambers Global, 2012, and currently includes 16 partners across the practice who work in health and safety. The global health and safety team provides advice to a broad client base covering energy and utility companies, manufacturers of medical devices and healthcare products, transport operators and vehicle fleet operators, engineering and heavy industry clients, and corporate clients and institutions.
We deliver integrated advice on the full range of safety issues throughout the globe, drawing upon the knowledge of our expert safety lawyers throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Our areas of work include
- major accident investigations and Coroner’s inquests
- 24/7 accident and incident support service
- corporate governance issues including risk assessments, health and safety and insurance policies, internal and external reporting requirements, and data protection issues
- corporate manslaughter inquests
- defence of Health & Safety at Work Act and corporate manslaughter prosecutions
- occupational health matters such as asbestos, legionella and vibration white finger issues
- transactional support (including due diligence and advising on risk allocation and lender liability issues in relation to the acquisition, disposal, financing, or restructuring of a business)
- regulatory compliance requirements
- product safety, product liability and product labelling
- notifications under RAPEX (the EU defective product rapid alert system) and advising on global and pan-European product recalls.
Our recent safety work
- Advising a healthcare multinational on its obligations under the ATEX Directives (the EU control of explosion risk regime) and a related potential warranty claim.
- Responding to a contractor fatality at large port construction site, including liaison with police, Health & Safety Executive and stakeholders.
- Advising a major oil company in relation to off-shore oil and gas incidents in the Southern North Sea, including the defence of criminal proceedings and corporate manslaughter investigations
- Advising a major oil company in relation to a fatality at a marine terminal.
- Advising a major steel manufacturer in relation to corporate manslaughter investigations by the Police and HSE prosecution following two separate fatalities at different sites in the UK.
- Advising a major financial institution on a significant asbestos investigation related to its property portfolio.
- Advising a manufacturing client on it obligations to report accidents at work under RIDDOR, including advising on incidents relating to inhalation of noxious fumes, exposure to asbestos and occupational dermatitis.
Our recent product safety and product liability work
- Advising a power tool manufacturer on labelling requirements.
- Advising clients on REACH issues - including advising on the time limits for updating Safety Data Sheets (SDS), importing restrictions for manufacturers outside the EU and the obligations of downstream users.
- Advising clients on the CLP Regulations and the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals.
- Advising a plastics manufacturer on the requirements of a licence to store Category 1 & 2 products under the Controlled Drugs (Substances Useful for Manufacture) Intra Community Trade Regulation 2005.
- Advising a medical equipment manufacturer on a potential product liability claim.
- Advising a chemicals manufacturer on its obligations under the Medicines for Human Use (Manufacturing, Wholesale Dealing and Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2005 and the related Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) Guidelines.
- Advising a lubes manufacturer on a number of product recall issues.
- Advising a manufacturer of household electrical appliances on a potential product recall.
Awards and accolades
- UK Health & Safety Firm of the Year, 2012, M&A Acquisition International