Dominic Stuttaford is Head of Tax for Europe, Middle East and Asia and Brazil, and is based in London. He focuses on the tax aspects of corporate finance and other finance transactions and structures, with a particular interest in the insurance and technology sectors. He trained at the practice and became a partner in 1999.
Dominic’s experience includes mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies, group restructurings, and acquisition and other finance structures.
Dominic has been recommended for some years in Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 and has been described as “extremely bright”, with clients remarking that “he can be relied upon to come up with the right answers”. ‘Dominic has been recognised as a ‘leading’ Corporate Tax Lawyer by Who’s Who Legal 2014’ Chambers UK 2015 states that "He is very proactive, thorough and knowledgeable, and always delivers what we need, when we need it."
Dominic is a member of the Law Society International Tax Committee and the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CTA). He is on the Editorial Committee of Practical Law for Companies (PLC).
Recent experience includes:
- acting for Barclays on the sale of their African banking interests to Absa Group Limited and the issue of shares by Absa to Barclays. It involved structuring the transaction, co-ordinating relevant advice and negotiating sale documentation, this helped to ensure there were no unexpected tax obstacles.
- acting for Brookfield on its acquisition of part of the BGE Group. This involved both negotiating the sale documentation and the structuring.
- acting for AXA on its disposal of the AXA UK Life business. The disposal involved both the actual sale and various complex re-organisations.
- acting for Iberia on its merger with British Airways, and helping to devise a structure that worked for UK and Spanish purposes.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
The Criminal Finances Act which received Royal Assent on April 27, 2017 introduces new corporate criminal offences of failing to prevent facilitation of UK and foreign tax evasion..
September 21, 2017
Background to new ILS regime.
September 05, 2017
Global law firm has announced that Raphaële Kamoun has joined as senior associate in the Luxembourg office..
October 11, 2017
Dominic Stuttaford discusses EU tax reform and the need to adapt to meet the needs of a digital marketplace..
September 15, 2017