Riza is a banking and finance lawyer. He heads the banking and finance practice.
Riza advises and leads on high-end complex domestic and international banking and finance transactions. He is experienced at leading large multi-disciplinary teams in complicated debt restructuring, work out and refinancing transactions, a recent example being the complicated restructuring of the layered debt and equity structure of the Primedia Group in preparation for refinancing. This transaction was worth approximately ZAR1 billion and we acted for an international fund manager in connection with their debt and equity participation. In a similar transaction worth approximately ZAR8 billion, Riza led the banking and finance elements of the debt and capital restructuring of a South African gaming company, again acting for several international funds and fund managers. He acts for a number of development financiers on a range of finance transactions and understands development finance well.
He is very experienced in preference share funding, both in acquisition transactions and as a general investment product. Riza is our expert on Islamic finance where he has advised local and foreign banks in establishing Islamic finance products and investments. Recently he has assisted in developing commercial and residential Islamic finance products for a South African big four bank. He is also currently leading on the first proposed bank sukuk for Additional Tier 1 capital in South Africa.
Riza has been listed as a leading lawyer in the financial and corporate space in IFLR1000, 2016. He is also recognized and rated in international publications, including Chambers Global, IFLR1000 and Who's Who Legal (Banking and Aviation) in the area of banking and finance.
Chambers Global, 2014 mentioned that Riza leads the department and is praised for his management of the team and for being “extremely efficient, commercial, pragmatic and easy to work with”. He is also listed as a recommended banking and finance lawyer in Legal500, 2015.
Riza holds a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws and Master of Laws degrees.
Selected client work
- Nedbank / Reclam: Advising Nedbank as senior term and working capital facility lender in respect of refinancing facilities provided to The New Reclamation Group (TNRG) as part of the ZAR1.3 billion (Nedbank facilities ZAR512 million) refinancing of Euro denominated notes issued by TNRG.
- Primedia Restructuring: Advising GoldenTree Asset Management and its various funds together with Avenue Europe Investments, LP in relation to the debt and capital restructuring of Primedia Holdings Proprietary Limited. The complicated capital structure including various classes of shares was restructured, debt was converted to equity and new debt was injected into the structure. This involved schemes of arrangement and shareholder voting as well a consideration of the liquidation and business rescue scenarios.
- IDC / Kalagadi: Advising IDC in its capacity as a lender (amongst a consortium of commercial banking and development finance institutions) and a shareholder in a project finance transaction to develop a manganese mine, and related smelter and sinter plants. This was a large scale green field’s mine project of significant size. The deal was unique because it involved not only commercial lenders but also development funders, including Industrial Development Corporation, African Development Bank and Development Bank of Southern Africa.
- Afrisam: Advising a major South African asset manager in its capacity as preference shareholder, payment-in-kind lender and shareholder in relation to the initial subscription for ordinary and preference shares; the subsequent debt and capital restructure of the cement manufacturer. Transaction value approximately ZAR20 billion.
- China Development Bank / Wesizwe: Advising on the provision of a senior credit facility by China Development Bank to Wesizwe Platinum Limited for on lending to its subsidiary Bakubung Minerals Proprietary Limited for the development of a platinum mine. Matter value approximately US$650 million.
- SA Express Airways: Advising South African Express Airways SOC Limited in relation to the sale of existing aircraft and the structuring of operating leases for new aircraft as part of a fleet renewal, involving, amongst others, FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank division), Flybe Limited, Aircraft Lease Finance Corporation Inc. and Universal Asset Management Inc. The deal was important because it was probably the largest aircraft fleet renewals in South Africa of the year.
- Transnet: Advising Transnet SOC Limited in connection with the US Export-Import Bank guaranteed financing for the purchase by Transnet of 100 diesel locomotives from GE Technologies. Transnet is one of the major parastatal transport providers. This was a very large transaction in the space of rolling stock acquisition by South African standards and was one leg of an ongoing fleet renewal by Transnet.
Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa has been named Best Law Firm and Professional Services Firm of the Year at the inaugural South African Professional Services Award.
October 31, 2014
On 20 June 2014 the Financial Services Board issued amended rules for the administration of a collective investment scheme in participation bonds. \.
July 07, 2014
Riza Moosa discusses business risks and opportunities post Brexit with CNBC Africa..
July 01, 2016
Global legal practice, Norton Rose Fulbright, is delighted to announce that Donovan Brown and Cherren Mogale have joined the Johannesburg banking and finance team....
August 06, 2015