Crae Garrett has many years of experience as a lawyer and investment banker. He primarily practises business law, focusing on energy, infrastructure, resources and mining in Canada and emerging markets in Africa, Southeast Asia and the CIS. Mr. Garrett has particular experience in delivering successful transaction, infrastructure and structuring mandates in jurisdictions where the local business environment is unstable or has regulatory or other challenges.
LL.B., University of Cape Town, 1989
B.Bus.Sc.(Hons.), University of Cape Town, 1987
Mr. Garrett has acted in the following matters:
- Counsel to Niko Resources Ltd. on a bought deal offering of common shares and notes for C$222 million and concurrent offering of common shares for C$50 million
- Counsel to JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation in its US$435 million investment in the British Columbia coal assets of Xstrata Coal Canada Limited
- Co-counsel to Uranium One Inc. in its shares and cash acquisition from JSC Atomredmetzoloto of interests in the Zarechnoye and Akbastau uranium fields in Kazakhstan
- Counsel to Sonde Resources in the disposal to Niko Resources of offshore oil and gas assets in Trinidad
- Counsel to First Solar Inc. in its development of 95 MW of commercial solar power projects in Sarnia, Ontario, and the disposal thereof to Enbridge Inc.
- Counsel to Flint Transfield Services regarding its substantial infrastructure maintenance arrangements with several major oil sands operators and owners
- Co-counsel to Uranium Ore Inc. in its shares and cash acquisition from JSC Atomredmetzoloto of a 50% interest in the Karatau Uranium mine in Kazakhstan
- The development and financing by National Power plc of the proposed Gokwe power plant in north west Zimbabwe (transaction did not proceed)
- A government-to-government revolving fuel financing facility arrangement for the procurement of national strategic oil and petroleum imports between the governments of Libya and Zimbabwe
- The structured acquisition by Anglo American Corporation of significant Southern African chromium properties
- Alberta 2005
- Law Society of England and Wales 2009
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2014-2017): recommended in Mining
- Lexpert Special Edition – Infrastructure, 2014: recommended
- Who’s Who Legal, Global Mining Law Firm of the Year, 2012
- The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers: 2011, 2012
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada 2011 in the area of Mining
- University of Cape Town, Dean’s Merit List, Faculty of Law, 1988
- University of Cape Town, Dean’s Merit List, Faculty of Commerce, 1987
- University of Cape Town, Twamley Scholarship, best undergraduate law student, 1987
- Uranium Mining in Kazakhstan and Pervasive State Participation: A Canadian Comparative Perspective (co-author).
- “Why PPP works” (author and speaker), Kazakhstan Infrastructure summit, Astana, 2009.
- “Opportunities in Central and Eastern Europe” (moderator), technical session, CME IDD Conference, Calgary, 2006.
- “The Legal Framework of Business in Canada” (author and speaker), University of Calgary NASSAM (MBA) program, Calgary, 2005.
- “A Response to Changing Conditions for Mining Investment in the Developing World” (author and speaker), International Mining Professionals Society, Toronto chapter, Toronto, 2002.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK) (Associate member)
- International Bar Association
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Law Society (England & Wales)
- Co-lecturer, International Petroleum Transactions course, University of Calgary, Calgary, 2007-2011
"This is the biggest and most complex Ebola outbreak in history." Tom Frieden, Director U.S. Centers for Disease Control .
August 20, 2014
New bouts of price volatility could halt upswing in commodity financing.
March 06, 2017
Wayne Fedun and Crae Garrett discussed M&A activity forecasts in the context of oil and gas prices for the natural resources sector..
April 25, 2016