We have a premier energy litigation practice that serves the diverse needs of the global energy industry.
Our energy disputes lawyers have the industry experience to understand our clients’ business and the litigation experience to deliver results. We identify our clients’ objectives at the earliest stage and develop a strategy to achieve those goals. We then represent our clients in the litigation process with aggressiveness, efficiency and a dedication to the highest professional standards. We take cases all the way to trial, if necessary, and our opponents well understand our capability and willingness to do so.
Our lawyers have litigated cases covering nearly every type of energy dispute, including:
- disputes relating to contractual arrangements in the energy context, such as oil and gas leases, asset purchase and sale agreements, onshore and offshore drilling contracts, services agreements, trading agreements, exchange agreements, gas purchase and sale contracts, joint exploration agreements, joint development agreements, joint operating agreements, area of mutual interest agreements, preferential rights and right of first refusal agreements, processing agreements and gathering and transportation agreements. Typical claims include those relating to oil and gas royalty obligations, representations and warranties, purchase price adjustments, take or pay provisions, oil and gas well drilling obligations, force majeure provisions, right of first refusal provisions, trade secret protection, contract termination provisions, indemnity obligations and corporate and partnership governance issues.
- business tort disputes arising in the energy context. Typical claims include tortious interference, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, director and officer liability, misappropriation of trade secret, civil conspiracy and deceptive trade practices.
- disputes involving allegations of environmental contamination, personal injury or property damage, or other alleged torts relating to oil and gas operations.
We have extensive experience litigating these disputes in state and federal courts and in domestic and international arbitrations. Our energy disputes lawyers have experience with nearly every type of complex litigation, including class actions, qui tam lawsuits and multidistrict litigation. Our lawyers also represent energy clients in arbitrations all over the world and under the rules of many international arbitral institutions.
Our areas of work include:
- representation of an exploration and production company in a contract dispute related to assignment of interests in certain oil and gas leases.
- defense of oil and gas companies in federal qui tam actions related to offshore operations in the Gulf of Mexico.
- representation of a large independent oil and gas company in a lawsuit alleging property damage in connection with hydraulic fracturing operations.
- defense of an independent energy company in a lawsuit alleging that the company trespassed in offshore territory in the South China Sea while conducting exploration activities.
- representation of an oil and gas company in an arbitration proceeding, including a week-long hearing, concerning breach of contract claims related to certain terms of a joint exploration agreement.
- defense of individual and entities in putative class action alleging tortious conduct in connection with the leasing of mineral rights.
- defense of an oil and gas company in a one-week bench trial concerning claims that the company had breached a preferential rights provision in a joint operating agreement.
- representation of a natural gas exploration and production company in a contract and tort dispute with a former drilling contractor.
- defense of an international exploration and production company in a two-week jury trial involving allegations of fraud and breach of contract related to the company’s production of oil and gas in a particular country in the 1980s and 1990s.
Awards and accolades
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 national rankings for energy law, natural resources law and oil & gas law, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2016
- Chambers Global, USA: Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation), Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation), Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide Energy: Litigation, The Legal 500, 2016