LNG is one of the cornerstones of our global energy practice. We understand the vertically integrated nature of the LNG value chain and have worked with our clients on some of the largest and most complicated LNG projects in the world.
Our lawyers have successfully established a renowned track record in advising players across the LNG value chain and project lifecycle; from project inception through operational and commercial matters.
We have an enviable record of teaming with clients seeking and obtaining regulatory approval for LNG projects. This includes the first authorization from the Department of Energy to export LNG from US-sourced natural gas to FTA and non-FTA countries. Our LNG practice also guides clients through LNG project development, including the permitting, project financing and construction phases, and LNG marketing, advising on long-term LNG SPA contracts, sale and purchase of spot cargoes, and tolling agreements. We bring innovation to these areas as the market continuously evolves.
Specific examples of our LNG work:
- Represented a U.S. Gulf Coast project developer in proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to obtain the first authorizations issued in the continental U.S. to site, construct and operate a liquefaction export project and to export domestic natural gas as LNG.
- Advised equity investors and off-takers in U.S. Gulf Coast LNG projects regarding a myriad of project documents and issues, including: joint venture arrangements, upstream natural gas supply agreements, pipeline transportation agreements, liquefaction and regasification tolling agreements, engineering, procurement and construction, project finance and other commercial matters.
- Advised customer of U.S. Gulf Coast liquefaction project in structuring, negotiation and documentation of upstream gas supply, purchase and transportation arrangements, LNG off-take agreement, and downstream LNG sale and purchase agreements.
- Advised project developers on the siting, construction, operation and expansion of LNG terminals on the U.S. Gulf Coast, East Coast, West Coast and in the Caribbean, including securing permits and authorizations from FERC, DOE and other federal and state regulatory agencies.
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Global, USA: Projects: LNG, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers USA, Nationwide Projects: LNG, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide Energy: Transactions, The Legal 500, 2017