Throughout our long history in the US, our insurance lawyers have developed a diverse insurance practice that includes domestic and international experience in litigation, regulatory and transactional matters. We have experience litigating in numerous claim areas for insureds and in complex coverage disputes for insurers. We also counsel our clients on representation and warranty issues as well as provide detailed regulatory reviews of their master policies.
Our US insurance team represents: insurers; agents and brokers; managing general agents and underwriters; underwriters; and trade associations.
Areas of work:
- class action defense
- compliance issues
- coverage/bad faith
- pharmaceutical and medical devices
- product liability
- catastrophic injury
- cybersecurity / data privacy
- energy and marine
- legal malpractice
- medical malpractice
- professional indemnity
- representations and warranties
- toxic tort
Although we offer services in more than 40 insurance specific subject matters, we are undoubtedly best known for these core practices, which we consider to be our Centers of Excellence:
- financial lines
- cyber, technology and IP claims
- class actions
- corporate and transactional
- complex claims and coverage
- marine, energy and aviation
Our recent experience:
- Represented an insurer of an investment firm regarding whether the dishonesty exclusion barred coverage of a large arbitration award against two registered representatives. The damages alleged were about US$3 million.
- Represented a D&O carrier in a cutting-edge insurance coverage dispute involving an injunction to enforce a D&O policy whereby the policyholder and its executives sued the insurer, seeking an injunction to force payment of defense costs.
- Representing one of the largest global insurers in litigation against a professional employer organization regarding a cyber security incident.
- Represented the insured, a well-respected general contractor in the Las Vegas area, on behalf of a major American multinational insurer, in a construction defect case in which Plaintiff alleged damages to its condominium tower of US$40 million.
- Obtained summary judgment for wholesale insurance broker client in a US$7 million misrepresentation action arising out of procurement of nursing home insurance policies.
- Representing a US insurer in a class action lawsuit for breach of contract, unlawful business acts and practices in violation of California Business and Professions Code, false promise and declaratory relief relating to failure to provide coverage.
- Representing global insurance companies in M&A representation and warranty insurance matters in connection with buy- and sell-side policies.
- Providing specialist insurance underwriters with numerous regulatory reviews of master policies.
- Advised a Canadian insurance company with operations across Canada and US on various aspects of Dodd-Frank compliance, including division between CFTC and SEC jurisdiction over swap products, and applicable clearing, reporting and recordkeeping requirements.
- Representing a major American multinational insurer in a case alleging bad faith arising out of the West Fertilizer Co. plant explosion.