We have developed one of the first major law practices targeted to the healthcare industry. With more than 150 lawyers with a practice focus in the healthcare sector, we are one of the largest healthcare practices in the nation. Our healthcare clients come from every facet of the healthcare industry and every region of the country.
Our nationally recognized healthcare practice provides our clients with a multi-disciplinary framework of highly experienced lawyers that are integral to completing complex healthcare transactions―everything from corporate, antitrust, tax, and regulatory (including anti-kickback laws, the Stark Law, corporate practice of medicine and insurance issues), to federal and state securities, finance, intellectual property, ERISA, labor and employment, litigation and real estate.
- extensive experience in the area of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, affiliations, and other strategic alliances of healthcare entities, including transactions involving both non-profit and for-profit organizations and combinations of each
- experience advising numerous leading healthcare providers in navigating the challenging legal and regulatory issues arising from clinical integration efforts
- a team that advises on virtually every aspect of federal and state regulation of the industry, including matters involving federal and state payor issues, compliance work, anti-kickback laws and physician self-referral regulations, the False Claims Act, civil monetary penalties, licensure, certification, accreditation, coverage, payment and billing, clinical research, Medicare and Medicaid programs, FDA matters, and institutional review boards
- a team that includes technology and intellectual property lawyers to ensure compliance with the rapidly evolving regulatory environment regarding telemedicine services
- one of the only firms with experience advising institutions and teaching programs on compliance with Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and Residency Review Committee (RRC) requirements, and medical schools on compliance with Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) standards
Our areas of work include
- Clinical integration initiatives (ACOs)
- full scope of advice to Academic Medical Centers
Our recent work
- Academic Medical Center in a high-profile merger with a large non-profit health system with an expected transaction value that could exceed US$1bn. This transaction was featured as a lead story by Modern Healthcare magazine on July 14, 2014.
- Largest independent, multi-specialty physician group in the Chicago area in a strategic partnership with a private equity firm in a US$250m investment. The investment by the private equity firm allowed the physicians to retain majority ownership; a very unique structure in the healthcare field.
- Nationwide network of leading community-owned healthcare organizations and physicians in a US$390m acquisition of substantially all of the assets of an alliance of leading academic medical centers. The new combined enterprise is the largest member-owned healthcare company in the US.
- Major not-for-profit healthcare system in Dallas on its combination with a non-profit collaborative healthcare system which encompasses one of the nation's largest multi-specialty group practices to create the largest non-profit healthcare system in Texas, with total assets of approximately US$8.3bn.
- One of the top ten Catholic health systems in the US in a nonprofit joint venture with one of the leading hospitals in Houston to operate two hospitals in the Houston market.
- Leading provider of healthcare services in Central Texas serving an 11-county population of US1.9m people in connection with its negotiations with a major academic medical center in Austin for a long-term academic affiliation agreement.
- Formation of ACOs for several major healthcare systems in Illinois, Indiana, Texas, Missouri, California, New Mexico and South Dakota.