We understand the healthcare industry
Norton Rose Fulbright's traditions are deeply rooted in representing clients in the healthcare industry. Our healthcare team focus began in 1941 when lawyers were deeply involved in the formation of Baylor College of Medicine and the creation and development of the Texas Medical Center, the largest concentration of medical facilities in the world.
Over the last 30 years, we have established the team as a pre-eminent health law group. Norton Rose Fulbright's healthcare lawyers represent, among others:
- non-profit, proprietary and governmental healthcare systems
- academic medical centers
- retail pharmacies and wholesale distributors
- durable medical equipment suppliers
- medical research institutes
- specialty hospitals
- home healthcare companies
- ancillary services providers, such as ambulatory surgery centers and dialysis centers
- physicians, physician groups and specialty provider associations
- practice management companies
- health maintenance organizations and other managed care entities
- health industry trade associations
- lenders, investors and underwriters involved in health industry transactions
We provide industry knowledge and experience
The health industry is a highly regulated industry, facing unique litigation, transactional and regulatory issues that require knowledge, not only of the law, but of the business and its economics.
Norton Rose Fulbright's healthcare team provides that knowledge. A number of the team's healthcare lawyers, paralegals and research assistants join us after careers in the healthcare industry and also maintain their professional relationships and credentials. As a result, we are able to advise clients on the legal implications of their day-to-day business operations in addition to advancing their business and legal interests in civil, criminal and regulatory investigations and disputes.
We help you adapt to an ever-changing healthcare industry market
We recognize the dramatic increase in the level and intensity of healthcare industry regulation at both the state and federal levels. The healthcare team has evolved over the years to provide in-depth representation and counsel in business operations, regulatory compliance and litigation issues.
Our recent work
- Several hospitals, including the largest non-profit health system in the US, in a nationwide recall of steroid injections in state and federal MDL proceedings. This suit is the first of its kind in the nation - combining an MDL, with bankruptcy of the entity that will not be restructured, and criminal indictments against alleged wrongdoers.
- One of the largest optical retail companies in the country in navigating the regulatory scheme overseen by the Texas Optometry Board in connection with the acquisition by a multinational private equity firm for a reported price of more than US$1b. We successfully guided the client through its Texas expansion plans where the company now has 34 stores.
- Academic Medical Center in a high-profile merger with a large non-profit health system with an expected transaction value that could exceed US$1b. This transaction was featured as a lead story by Modern Healthcare magazine on July 14, 2014.
- Nationwide network of leading community-owned healthcare organizations and physicians in a US$390m acquisition of substantially all of the assets of an alliance of leading academic medical centers. The new combined enterprise is the largest member-owned healthcare company in the US.
- Largest independent, multi-specialty physician group in the Chicago area in a strategic partnership with private equity firm in a US$250m investment.