Our global life sciences team offers market-leading legal knowledge and a highly strategic approach to clients doing business transactions in the life sciences and pharmaceutical sector.
We have extensive experience in highly complex domestic, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions. We have local knowledge in all clinically and commercially relevant jurisdictions which allows us to help clients identify and manage risk globally as well as to assist them in realizing their business expansion goals through our robust transactional practices. Our wealth of experience in this sector means we can advise on legal issues, as well as business, industry and other market terms.
We advise on a range of transactions, from multi-billion dollar mergers in the public markets to the privatization of public companies and from the disposition of closely-held companies to the purchase of divisions of companies.
We regularly work with major multinational pharmaceutical, medical device, and technology companies in the rapidly evolving area of “health tech”― the cross-over between traditional technology and pharma. Our firm is a leader in this area as we advise clients on precedent-setting transactions that create new business models and market norms. Our global platform and sector approach allows our life sciences team to provide integrated solutions to the disruptive challenges our clients face. In particular, we are able to consider the global implications of commercial arrangements, privacy, regulatory, competition and IP issues.
Our areas of work include
- capital markets and private placements
- private equity/venture capital
- health technology collaborations and licensing
- joint ventures
- securities regulation and enforcement
- corporate finance
- Rule 144A offerings
Our recent work
- German-based pharmaceuticals and chemicals company in its US$1.15bn sale of diabetes business to a multi-national Japan-based company engaged in the provision of healthcare products.
- World’s largest manufacturer of professional dental products and technologies in its agreement to acquire all of the outstanding shares of an Israel-based manufacturer of dental implant systems for a cash consideration of US$375m.
- Publicly-traded US-based company that designs, develops, and manufactures laser products in its merger transaction with a US-based manufacturer of laser and photonics products and scientific research markets with a matter value of approximately US$942m.
- Global medical device company in the sale of its interventional radiology business to a multi-national medical device based in the US for an upfront payment and additional payments contingent on regulatory and sales milestones.
- Joint venture of two global pharmaceutical giants in its purchase of late-stage HIV research and development assets for a total transaction value of approximately US$1.45bn.
- Global pharmaceutical giant in its strategic drug discovery collaboration with a subsidiary of a multinational pharmaceutical company based in Japan to research and develop potential new medicines directed at up to 10 G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) targets across multiple therapeutic areas with a transaction value of approximately US$189m.
- Publicly-traded Canadian biopharmaceutical company in an exclusive licensing agreement to develop and commercialize a drug for the treatment of high risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer in all countries of the world with a transaction value of approximately US$137m.