Companies in the life sciences industry face unique and complex legal issues.
Every step of the product life cycle, from the genesis of intellectual property, to the creation of financial resources, to the amassing of human capital, to the commercialization of products, presents significant legal and regulatory challenges.
Here, we provide our clients with the multi-disciplinary legal solutions and practical advice they need to achieve their business goals.
Our life sciences team consists of over 200 lawyers in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and Asia dedicated to serving the unique legal needs of life science companies in the global marketplace.
Our clients range from the small start-up biotech company with a single idea to the mature, global pharmaceutical manufacturer with a vast product pipeline and include:
- pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers
- medical device manufacturers
- biotechnology companies
- research institutions and academic medical centers
- food producers, manufacturers, distributors and retailers
- institutional investors, private equity firms and venture capital funds
Our recent work
- German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical giant in its nationwide litigation involving widely-used oral contraceptives. This litigation involved thousands of cases and included a national MDL, as well as state coordinated proceedings in numerous jurisdictions across the country.
- Global medical product manufacturer as its national defense counsel in one of the largest mass torts in the US involving pelvic mesh cases throughout the US and Canada.
- German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical giant in its global asset divestiture of its diabetes care business with a transaction value of approximately €1.0b.
- German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical giant in the formation of a joint venture involving protein engineering and disease know-how with a transaction value of approximately US$335m.
- Joint venture of two global pharmaceutical giants in its purchase of late-stage HIV research and development assets for a total transaction value of approximately US$1.45b.
- American pharmaceutical giant on a first-of-its-kind research collaboration with a global American high tech company to develop innovative remote monitoring solutions aimed at transforming how clinicians deliver care to patients suffering from Parkinson's disease.
- Global science and technology innovator in IP due diligence and patent litigation related to acquisitions, licenses, and product clearances with an approximate transaction value of US$13.8b.
- Worldwide developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices in a qui tam matter under the False Claims Act in which two former employees allege that the company submitted false claims to federal healthcare programs for various medical devices.
- Global pharmaceutical company as discovery counsel in a multidistrict antitrust litigation that combines eleven proposed class actions alleging a pay-for-delay scheme over a generic version of a stroke prevention drug with a damage claim expected to exceed US$120m.
- American multinational medical device company in its US and European litigation strategy with a university concerning a breach of a license agreement and US patent invalidation actions.