Christian Menefee joined the Houston office in 2013, and is a senior associate in the Energy and Infrastructure disputes group. Christian's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in state and federal court. Christian also has experience in representing clients in various forms of ADR, including arbitration and mediation. Christian also has experience in advising public companies regarding SEC reporting obligations pursuant to the Conflict Minerals rule in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
In addition to being a member of the Texas bar, Christian is admitted to practice before the United States Courts for the Northern, Eastern, and Southern Districts of Texas.
2013 - J.D., Washington University St. Louis
2010 - B.B.A., International Business Management, The University of Texas at San Antonio
While in law school, Christian was a senior editor for the Washington University Jurisprudence Review, and an intern for Judge G. Patrick Murphy in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois.
Christian has assisted in representing clients in a variety of disputes involving a range of issues, including:
- Representing exploration and production companies in arbitration and a parallel state court action regarding alleged breaches of an area of mutual interest provision in a joint development agreement.
- Representing an offshore exploration and production company in a qui tam False Claims Act case regarding allegations that the company fraudulently underpaid royalties to the federal government by taking transportation deductions related to subsea movements of oil and gas and costs related to the building of tension leg platforms in the deep-water Gulf of Mexico.
- Obtaining dismissal of lawsuit filed by Houston Firefighters Relief & Retirement Fund against the City of Houston, the Mayor of Houston, and Houston City Council members claiming that legislation seeking to reform Houston's pension system (Senate Bill 2190) was unconstitutional.
- Representing a company in ICC arbitration over an alleged breach of a consulting contract relating to oil and gas exploration in the Middle East.
- Representing a Peruvian company in an ICC Emergency Arbitrator proceeding regarding a joint operating agreement dispute.
As part of Norton Rose Fulbright's Attorney Loan Program, Christian served as a temporary prosecutor for the City of Houston, trying multiple criminal cases to jury verdict, negotiating plea deals with defense attorneys, and participating in oral arguments before various municipal judges.
FCPA and International Anti-Corruption Experience
- Conducted internal investigation into potential FCPA violations.
- Conducted internal investigation into misconduct of a corporate officer during a financial audit.
- Represented companies in conducting anti-corruption due diligence into various third parties, including a global courier delivery services company, a joint venture partner located in Nigeria, and international agents located in Venezuela, China, and Saudi Arabia.
- Represented industrial distribution company in conducting anti-corruption due diligence into international agents located in Iraq, Oman, Egypt, and Vietnam.
Pro bono Experience
- Tried to the bench a highly contested divorce/custody dispute; client awarded primary custody of the parties' children, and favorable distribution of community property.
Rankings and recognitions
- Outstanding Committee Chair Award, Houston Young Lawyers Association, 2016-2017
- 2017 Global Inclusion Award, Norton Rose Fulbright
- Co Author, "DC Circuit confirms conflict minerals ruling," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, August 20, 2015
- Co Author, "SEC issues new Conflict Minerals Guidance post NAM," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, May 8, 2014
- Co Author, "DC Circuit vacates part of Conflict Minerals rule," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, April 22, 2014
- Co Author, "SEC issues new guidance on conflict minerals rule," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, April 11, 2014
- Presenter, "SEC's Conflict Minerals Rule," monthly meeting for the Corporate & Securities Law Committee of the Association of Corporate Counsel, August 12, 2014
Memberships and activities
- Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
- Houston Associates Committee, Chair (2016 - 2018)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors (2017 - Present)
- Tomorrow Attorney Pipeline Program, Organizing Committee (2016 - Present)
- Young Lawyers in Schools Committee, Chair (2016 - 2017)
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation, Fellow (2017 - Present)
- Texas Minority Counsel Program
- Steering Committee (2017 - Present)
- Houston Save-the-Date Reception Committee Co-Chair (2017)
- Houston Bar Association
- Minority Opportunities in the Legal Profession Committee, Summer Associate Luncheon Chair (2016 - 2017)
- Bench Book Committee, Chair (2015 - 2016)
- Aids Outreach Committee (2014-2016)
- City of Houston Independent Police Oversight Board, Board Member
- Becoming One Community Foundation, Board Member
- Leadership Houston, Class XXXVI
- United Way Project Blueprint Board Leadership Program, Class XXXV
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
On May 19, 2017, the Texas Supreme Court held in a unanimous decision in Lightning Oil Co. v. Anadarko E&P Onshore, LLC that an oil and gas operator does not commit trespass when....
May 31, 2017
On August 18, 2015, a three-judge panel for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the....
August 20, 2015
On April 27, 2017, Houston lawyer Christian Menefee was honored with the Outstanding Committee Chair Award at the Law Day Luncheon hosted by the....
May 11, 2017
Seven Houston lawyers, Lauren Brogdon, Cristina Lunders, Darren Lindamood, Peter Tipps, Justin Tschoepe, Christian Menefee and Patrick McMillin, have been named to leadership roles within the Houston Young Lawyers Association for the 2016-2017 bar year..
July 12, 2016