Christian Menefee joined the Houston office as an associate in 2013. His practice focuses on litigation matters. Christian's experience includes serving as a summer associate. He has also interned for The Honorable Judge G. Patrick Murphy, United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois.
Christian has advised public companies regarding SEC reporting obligations pursuant to the Conflict Minerals rule in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, including advice regarding:
- The scope and applicability of the Conflict Minerals rule; and
- Drafting Form SD and Conflict Minerals Reports, and the required disclosures therein.
- 2013 - J.D., Washington University St. Louis
- 2010 - B.B.A., International Business Management, The University of Texas at San Antonio
While in law school, Christian was a senior editor for the Washington University Jurisprudence Review.
FCPA and International Anti-Corruption Experience
- Conducted internal investigation into potential FCPA violations.
- Conducted internal investigation into misconduct of a corporate officer during a financial audit.
- Represented oil and gas companies in conducting anti-corruption due diligence into various third parties, including a global courier delivery services company, a joint venture partner located in Nigeria, and international agents located in Venezuela, China, and Saudi Arabia.
- Represented industrial distribution company in conducting anti-corruption due diligence into international agents located in Iraq, Oman, Egypt, and Vietnam.
Christian has assisted in representing clients in a variety of disputes involving a range of issues, including:
- Representing an oil company in ICC arbitration over an alleged breach of a consulting contract relating to oil and gas exploration in the Middle East.
- Representing a Peruvian energy company in an ICC Emergency Arbitrator proceeding regarding a joint operating agreement dispute.
- Obtaining a dismissal, with prejudice, for an oil and gas company in an 110-year-old dispute where plaintiffs claimed adverse possession and sought 50 years' worth of royalty payments.
As part of Norton Rose Fulbright's Attorney Loan Program, Christian served as a temporary prosecutor for the City of Houston, trying multiple criminal cases to jury verdict, negotiating plea deals with defense attorneys, and participating in oral arguments before various municipal judges.
- Advised asset management firm regarding the legality of political contributions under the Advisers Act "Pay-to-Play" Rule and the Texas Election Code.
Pro bono Experience
- Tried to the bench a highly contested divorce/custody dispute; client awarded primary custody of the parties' children, and favorable distribution of community property.
- Houston Lawyers Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- 2016 Bench Book Committee, Chair
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Houston Branch
- Houston Area Urban League Young Professionals
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas African American Lawyers Section
- State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Section
- Presenter, "SEC's Conflict Minerals Rule," monthly meeting for the Corporate & Securities Law Committee of the Association of Corporate Counsel, August 12, 2014
- Co Author, "DC Circuit confirms conflict minerals ruling", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, August 20, 2015
- Co Author, "SEC issues new Conflict Minerals Guidance post NAM ", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, May 8, 2014
- Co Author, "DC Circuit vacates part of Conflict Minerals rule", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, April 22, 2014
- Co Author, "SEC issues new guidance on conflict minerals rule", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, April 11, 2014
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Volunteer
Christian enjoys extreme workout training and competitions such as P90x and Tough Mudder.
On August 18, 2015, a three-judge panel for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the....
August 20, 2015
The SEC has issued new guidance on the Dodd-Frank Conflict Minerals Rule following a recent DC Circuit Court decision that vacated part of the rule. The guidance....
May 07, 2014