Christian Menefee joined the Houston office in 2013, and is an associate in the Energy and Infrastructure disputes group. Christian's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in state and federal court, primarily representing companies in the energy industry. Christian also has experience in representing both public and private clients in internal investigations, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and employee misconduct investigations. Christian has also advised public companies regarding SEC reporting obligations pursuant to the Conflict Minerals rule in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- 2013 - J.D., Washington University St. Louis
- 2010 - B.B.A., International Business Management, The University of Texas at San Antonio
While in law school, Christian was a senior editor for the Washington University Jurisprudence Review, and an intern for Judge G. Patrick Murphy in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois.
FCPA and International Anti-Corruption Experience
- Conducted internal investigation into potential FCPA violations.
- Conducted internal investigation into misconduct of a corporate officer during a financial audit.
- Represented oil and gas companies in conducting anti-corruption due diligence into various third parties, including a global courier delivery services company, a joint venture partner located in Nigeria, and international agents located in Venezuela, China, and Saudi Arabia.
- Represented industrial distribution company in conducting anti-corruption due diligence into international agents located in Iraq, Oman, Egypt, and Vietnam.
Christian has assisted in representing clients in a variety of disputes involving a range of issues, including:
- Representing an oil company in ICC arbitration over an alleged breach of a consulting contract relating to oil and gas exploration in the Middle East.
- Representing a Peruvian energy company in an ICC Emergency Arbitrator proceeding regarding a joint operating agreement dispute.
- Obtaining a dismissal, with prejudice, for an oil and gas company in an 110-year-old dispute where plaintiffs claimed adverse possession and sought 50 years' worth of royalty payments.
As part of Norton Rose Fulbright's Attorney Loan Program, Christian served as a temporary prosecutor for the City of Houston, trying multiple criminal cases to jury verdict, negotiating plea deals with defense attorneys, and participating in oral arguments before various municipal judges.
- Advised asset management firm regarding the legality of political contributions under the Advisers Act "Pay-to-Play" Rule and the Texas Election Code.
Pro bono Experience
- Tried to the bench a highly contested divorce/custody dispute; client awarded primary custody of the parties' children, and favorable distribution of community property.
- Co Author, "DC Circuit confirms conflict minerals ruling," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, August 20, 2015
- Co Author, "SEC issues new Conflict Minerals Guidance post NAM," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, May 8, 2014
- Co Author, "DC Circuit vacates part of Conflict Minerals rule," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, April 22, 2014
- Co Author, "SEC issues new guidance on conflict minerals rule," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, April 11, 2014
- Presenter, "SEC's Conflict Minerals Rule," monthly meeting for the Corporate & Securities Law Committee of the Association of Corporate Counsel, August 12, 2014
Memberships and activities
- Houston Bar Association
- Bench Book Committee, Chair (2015)
- Aids Outreach Committee (2014-2016)
- Minority Opportunities in the Legal Profession Committee, Summer Associate Luncheon Chair (2016)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Young Lawyers in Schools Committee, Chair (2016)
- Tomorrow Attorney Pipeline Program, Organizing Committee (2016)
- Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
- Houston Associates Committee, Chair (August 2016 - Current)
- Texas Minority Counsel Program
- Houston Save-the-Date Reception Committee (2016)
- Steering Committee (2017)
- City of Houston Independent Police Oversight Board, Board Member
- Becoming One Community Foundation, Board Member
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Texas Gulf Coast Chapter Advisory Council
- United Way Project Blueprint Board Leadership Program, Class XXXV
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
- Houston Area Urban League Young Professionals
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Houston Branch
On August 18, 2015, a three-judge panel for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the....
August 20, 2015
The SEC has issued new guidance on the Dodd-Frank Conflict Minerals Rule following a recent DC Circuit Court decision that vacated part of the rule. The guidance....
May 07, 2014
Seven Houston lawyers, Lauren Brogdon, Cristina Lunders, Darren Lindamood, Peter Tipps, Justin Tschoepe, Christian Menefee and Patrick McMillin, have been named to leadership roles within the Houston Young Lawyers Association for the 2016-2017 bar year..
July 12, 2016