Lawrence A. Bauer
Larry has served clients as bond counsel on virtually every type of general obligation, subject to appropriation and revenue bond financing. He provides guidance on all issues relating to tax-exempt financing and related matters, including advice on deal structures, investment of proceeds, interim construction financing, legislative matters and contract impairment and other constitutional questions.
Larry's work as bond counsel spans public power, water and sewer, toll road and 501(c)(3) issues, and multimodal (variable/auction rate), delayed delivery and credit- and liquidity-enhanced financings, as well as federally subsidized taxable debt such as Build America Bonds. He also advises clients in connection with derivative transactions, including interest rate swaps, forward delivery agreements and various investment products.
Strong leadership on behalf of his clients has earned Larry recognition every year since 2010 from U.S.News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" and in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Public Finance law. Sources told the peer-reviewed guide, "Larry is a true professional. He has represented my firm on several important legal matters and his work product was instrumental to the success of the project. He has a depth of understanding the key legal issues that I find in few other attorneys."
JD, New York University School of Law, 1981
MBA., New York University, 1981
BA, magna cum laude, Columbia University, 1977
This experience encompasses, among other matters:
- Acting as bond counsel for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and all its issuing authorities and municipalities, as well as for Vermont Educational and Health Buildings Financing Agency, Vermont State Colleges and the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York.
- Acting as designated underwriters' counsel for Southern California Public Power Authority (SCPPA) and assisting with helping its participating municipal members comply with California's renewable energy mandates. A 20-year wind energy pre-payment SCPPA financing benefitting Los Angeles and Pasadena won The Bond Buyer 2010 Deal of the Year Award.
- Serving as bond counsel to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico on its general obligation forward refunding bond issue that was selected as the public finance Deal of the Year by Institutional Investor magazine in 2001.
- Serving as counsel to institutional purchasers of state and local government obligations and a newly formed municipal bond insurer.
Rankings and recognitions
- The Bond Buyer 2010 Deal of the Year Award, 2010
- The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance law, Best Lawyers, 2010-2016, 2018
- New York Metro Super Lawyer, Government Finance, Thomson Reuters, 2014- 2017
Memberships and activities