Jeffrey R. Escobar
Jeffrey R. Escobar advises horizontal and vertical project owners, real estate companies, joint ventures, institutional owners, closely held developers, lenders, investors and private equity funds across the US and throughout the Americas on their deployment of capital on their most complex and large-scale projects. From the construction of a professional sports stadium and the only aerial commuter tramway system in the country in New York City, to the development and construction of large luxury apartment communities in Los Angeles County and the engineering of energy facilities in the Gulf of Mexico, there is no energy, infrastructure, real estate, construction or development project too large or too small that Jeffrey has not had experience leading.
JD, with Honors, New England School of Law, 2004
BA, Phi Beta Kappa, University of Washington, 2000
- Provided key landmark advice to developer client on the legal ability and viability to use modular means and methods to construct the country’s tallest modular tower at the Atlantic Yards project in Brooklyn, New York.
- Structured and negotiated the development of the Baccarat Hotel & Residences in Manhattan, New York, including the provision of development and construction practices advice.
- Led, structured, negotiated and advised client on construction license agreements for the construction of the Tower Verre, otherwise known as the MoMA Tower in New York City.
- Served as construction counsel to the owner of a professional Major League Soccer team in the development and construction of stadium, training facility, administrative and executive offices, including the mediation and negotiated settlement of various construction management, subcontract claims and lien foreclosure, averting possible project shutdown and failure of development.
- Acted as construction legal adviser to country’s largest real estate investment trust (REIT), reviewing all development and construction contracts and agreements for all new client developments nationwide, including providing legal advice and counsel as to transaction and potential client exposure to potential liability and industry best practices.
- Provided legal counsel and risk management guidance to large New York developer of a luxury residence at a Long Island City project, including advisory as to use of union labor versus non-union labor and crane operation requirements.
- Spearheaded and provided legal counsel to the development and construction of a contentious multi-hundred-million-dollar assisted living senior community and rehabilitation center in Boca Raton, Florida. Advised the world’s largest luxury-residential developer in its joint venture and partnership with an international hotel group in the construction and development of a luxury lodge, spa and residential complex in Breckenridge, Colorado.
- Successfully acted as US legal counsel to foreign design-build client in the construction of Roosevelt Island commuter aerial tramway system from project procurement and bid to the negotiation and administration of the project’s contracts.
- Acted as lead counsel to the construction of the Battery Park Ferry Terminal, including loss recovery efforts from Port Authority and builder under OCIP policies for failures to properly complete topside work.
- Led global real estate developer in its construction financing, development and construction of a high-rise luxury tower, hotel and retail spaces consisting of 150 residential units in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Spearheaded the development and construction by one of the country’s largest private developers of a luxury retail shopping, entertainment and hotel complex in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
- Advised publicly traded healthcare company in its joint venture development with a public university in its acquisition and development of a medical care campus and hospital in Houston metropolitan area.
- Acted as development counsel to a publicly traded health care REIT in its procurement and redevelopment of a portfolio of medical care offices and facilities assets throughout Connecticut, including the ground-up acquisition and construction of two medical campuses.
- Provided real estate construction counsel to a prominent New York developer in its construction and development of luxury residential towers in Austin, Texas and downtown Milwaukee, Minnesota.
- Represented an internationally prominent, privately held bank in the underwriting of a public-private partnership development of a 500,000 square foot entertainment complex and venue in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Advised publicly traded, S&P 500 healthcare company in its acquisition, development, construction and operation of medical care facilities, buildings, campuses and hospitals across the country, including its joint venture development with a large Japanese financial conglomerate and private equity firm of a portfolio of luxury senior and assisted living communities.
- Guided a foreign joint venture in its acquisition, development and construction of a 100-acre automobile manufacturing facility, commercial complex and distribution center in New Braunfels, Texas.
- Served as development legal advisor to one of the country’s largest Real Estate Investment Trusts in its rebranding, management and redevelopment of its hospitality CapEx and PIP assets nationwide.
- Negotiated, prepared and oversaw administration of construction and development contracts for multinational corporate client in the construction of their new global headquarters and offices at marquee location in Times Square.
- Served as construction legal counsel to international luxury retailer in its design, engineering, construction and development of its retail, operations and commercial office locations throughout North America.
Rankings and recognitions
- New York Metro Rising Star, Real estate and Construction, Thomson Reuters, 2014–2017
- “Does preparatory site work, such as clearing or grading, constitute commencement of construction for purposes of lien priority?: The dangers of failing to file a notice of lending and when a contractor’s mechanic’s lien takes priority over a construction loan mortgage,” Lexology USA, January 27, 2015
- “How ‘Exacting’ Must an Indemnification Clause of a Contract Be to Entitle a Prevailing Party to Attorney’s Fees?” NYSBA: Inside, Vol. 20, No. 2, Fall 2011
- “Will Corporate Officers ever be Held Criminally Responsible for Environmental Crimes?: Collapsing the Doctrines of Piercing the Corporate Veil and the Responsible Corporate Officer for Successful Environmental Criminal Prosecutions,” New England Journal on Criminal and Civil Confinement, Vol. 30, no. 1, Winter 2004
- “Claims, Notices and Dispute Resolution: Demystifying Construction Claims,” Lawline webinar, June 2016
- “A Roadmap to Key Contracting Clauses for the Complex Construction Project in Owner/Contractor Construction Agreements: Negotiating Key Clauses that are Non-Starters,” Lawline webinar, April 2016
- “Construction Contract Workshop: Understanding Construction Contract Essentials,” American Society of Civil Engineers panel, December 2015
- “Construction Contracts 101: Contracting for a Successful Project,” New York City Bar panel, July 2015
- “Lien Law Claims, the Amended Prompt Pay Act and Notice Provisions in Construction Agreements,” New York City Bar panel, April 2015
- “Changes to US GAAP Accounting Standards and Impact for Real Estate, Leasing and Construction Professionals and their Legal Counsel,” Capstone Advisory Group real estate webinar, April 2015
- “Construction Contracts 201: Contracting for the Complex Construction Project,” New York City Bar panel, March 2015
- “Construction Contracts 101: Contracting for a Successful Project,” New York City Bar panel, July 2014
- “Construction Contracts 101: Agreements Explained & Demystified,” New York City Bar panel, July 2013
Memberships and activities
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Industry
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund Foundation
- Appointed member, Construction Law Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Chair of Green Building subcommittee
- Chair of Resiliency Construction Subcommittee
- Co-chair of CLE Subcommittee
- Appointed member, New York City Community Board 8 Manhattan, 2009–present
- Co-chair, Roosevelt Island Committee
- Co-chair of Cornell Technion/Roosevelt Island Task Force
- New York State Bar Association
- Member and Mentor, PALS, Inc.
- Roosevelt Island Residents Association, elected community representative, 2008–2010 and 2010–2012 terms; vice-president, president, 2012–2014 term; president, 2014–2016 term
- Board member, Star Island Operating Corporation, 2014–present
- Appellate judicial law clerk to Honorable Justice Anthony V. Cardona, New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, August 2004–September 2005
The dangers of failing to file a notice of lending and when a contractor’s mechanic’s lien takes priority over a construction....
January 27, 2015
Chadbourne & Parke LLP is pleased to announce that Jeffrey R. Escobar has joined the New York office as counsel in the project finance group. Mr....
September 13, 2016