Deniro is a dispute resolution and litigation lawyer based in Durban.
Deniro's areas of focus are
Professional indemnity litigation – he acts for doctors, lawyers, accountants and auditors, insurance brokers, engineers and quantity surveyors and their professional indemnity insurers.
Medical law and malpractice litigation – he acts for the major private hospital groups in South Africa and their public liability insurers as well as two provincial Departments of Health in South Africa.
Banking litigation – he acts for the major banks in South Africa, particularly in respect of property related disputes and reputational risk matters.
Administrative law – he acts for various corporate clients in respect of tender reviews against government departments and parastatals.
He regularly presents seminars and training workshops for clients, with a particular focus on professional indemnity and public liability insurance in the medical and construction sectors.
Deniro obtained his Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree in 2006 and Master of Laws (LLM-Business Law) degree in 2008 from the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
He is an admitted attorney, conveyancer and notary of the High Court of South Africa.
2006, LLB - University of KwaZulu Natal
2008, LLM - University of KwaZulu Natal
- Deniro is acting on behalf of several private hospital groups and their public liability insurers in respect of defending medical negligence claims which exceed ZAR500 million in total value. (2018)
- Deniro is one of the lead lawyers of the NRFSA team acting on behalf of the Department of Health, Eastern Cape in respect of defending medical negligence claims which exceed ZAR2.3 billion in total value. (2018)
- Deniro is acting as the lead lawyer in providing policy response advice to a leading South African insurer in respect of a ZAR1.2 billion fire damages claim under a Contractors All Risk Insurance Policy. (2018)
- Deniro is providing policy response advice to an international insurer in respect of a ZAR25.4 million assets claim and ZAR50.9 million delay in start-up claim in respect of a the construction and handover of a natural gas-fired power plant. (2018)
- Deniro is acting on behalf of an auditing firm and its professional indemnity insurer in respect of defending a ZAR6.7 million professional negligence claim. (2018)
- Deniro is acting on behalf of the wealth division of an international bank to recover debts which exceeds ZAR30 million in total value. (2018)
- Deniro was successful, as the lead lawyer, in dismissing a ZAR15.7 million medical negligence claim (child cerebral palsy claim) against the Department of Health, Eastern Cape. (2018)
- Deniro was successful in obtaining dismissal of complaints submitted to the HPCSA for various medical professionals and their professional indemnity insurers. (2017/2018)
- Attorney qualified in South Africa 2006
May 2016: Presented on “A guide for the DOH therapist”, Department of Health, KZN
The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA), in Margo and Another v Gardner and another..
July 01, 2011
The following papers were presented at the Syncom Business Intelligence Conference on 21 and 22 October 2010 held in Sandton. .
October 21, 2010
Deniro Pillay was quoted in an article in IOL news about the loss and negligence of a kidney..
January 08, 2016
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced its first global partner promotions since entering the US market in June 2013..
April 23, 2014