Our South African banking and finance team works creatively in tandem with our global counterparts to allow local companies to take advantage of opportunities around the world. With complementary practices in Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East, our team deliver consistently high-quality advice to both inbound and outbound clients.
Having built a reputation for South African finance law, our team offers a pan-African practice, providing regular assistance to foreign-based businesses entering the continent. We are a recognised leader in financial services law and act for a variety of clients, including financial institutions, major franchisors, e-business companies, manufacturing, retail, consultants and multinationals.
With a footprint in over 40 jurisdictions, we offer a truly global financial services practice and are able to deliver the full range of legal services to the financial industry.
Our areas of work include
- corporate-commercial speciality finance
- intellectual property
- regulatory issues
Our recent work
- Metorex Limited - Acted as international legal counsel in connection with various aspects of the limited resource financing of Metorex Limited’s subsidiary, Ruashi Mining sprl in DRC, including performing a lender due diligence on the company and its key contracts, advising on bankability aspects and drafting the finance documents. Also advising on the USD170 million debt restructuring, and a capital raising and cross-border ZAR300 million secured bridge financing of Metorex in relation to South Africa, the UK and Zambia.
- Transnet Limited (a major South African parastatal) - Advising Transnet on a US$1,000,000,000 cross-border debt finance transaction with AfDB and other international lenders.
- Acting for a major South African Bank as international legal counsel in connection with secured liquidity funding support for USD76,000,000 cross-border group facilities made (Mauritius and certain other jurisdictions in Africa).
- Nedbank – Acting for Nedbank as international legal counsel in connection with the cross-border security aspects of a EUR70,000,000 debt facility (South Africa).
Awards and accolades
- Tier 1 - IFLR1000, Banking and Finance, 2005 - 2016
- Band 1 - Legal 500, Banking and Finance, 2012 - 2016
- Band 2 - Chambers Global, Banking & Finance, 2011 - 2016