Ranked number 1 to be considered for both top level litigation and multi-jurisdictional litigation in South Africa
Acritas Sharplegal 2015 – Global Elite
‘Sources say:“Availability and communication are 120%.” “They are very much aware of the importance of client service and the need to provide us with commercially acceptable solutions.”’
Chambers Global, 2013
Our South African dispute resolution and litigation team is highly praised for maintaining one of the largest national dispute resolution departments on the continent and is renowned for its strength in this field. Acting for a range of clients, we offer expertise across our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
We handle the full spectrum of disputes; advising clients on local, pan-African, and international matters, we work closely with our litigation attorneys across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Our team has gained particular prominence in the fields of mining and insurance, having acted on the majority of high-profile cases in these sectors. We are trusted advisors to many high-profile clients on all aspects of insurance dispute resolution including aviation, marine, professional liability, and D&O risks. Our specialist litigation attorneys are instructed regularly for advice on the full range of options available to each client and have secured a leading position for themselves in the South African market.
Our areas of work include
- admiralty and shipping disputes
- aviation claims
- building and construction disputes
- class action and multi-claimant actions
- commercial fraud (including urgent interdicts and attachment and disclosure orders)
- competition law (including prohibited business practices before the Competition Commission, Competition Tribunal and Competition Appeal Court)
- constitutional and Administrative law and human rights disputes
- corporate & Commercial litigation and dispute resolution
- corporate business rescue and liquidation and insolvency work
- environmental claims and disputes
- fraud investigation and recovery
- insurance disputes and related business (e.g. fire, accident, motor, marine, aviation, personal injury, product liability, professional liability, reinsurance and long-term insurance claims)
- mediation and arbitration services
- mining disputes
- occupational health and safety investigations, enquiries and claims
- personal injury litigation
- pension law disputes, including surplus legislation
- urgent applications and interdicts
- unlawful competition and restraint of trade.
Our recent work
- Representing Kumba Iron Ore in a complex contractual dispute against ArcelorMittal.
- Representing The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited in an application before the Constitutional Court involving the interpretation of various provisions in the National Credit Act.
- Representing PricewaterhouseCoopers in complex litigation brought by the liquidators of New Republic Bank alleging breach of duty in the conduct of the audit of the bank.
- Representing Deloitte & Touche in claims against them, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, The Registrar of the Financial Services Board and various stock broking firms.
- Representing Emerald Risk Transfer (Pty) Ltd as the insurers of Paarl Print in a recovery action against various parties.