‘"They're an exceptional team with specialists in all the subject areas we require."’
Chambers Global, 2014
"Very clued-up and they deliver an outstanding service"
Chambers Global, 2015
We have one of the largest global energy practices in the world, with more than 850 lawyers in every major energy market. Our objective is simple - to deliver seamless, sophisticated and forward thinking advice to our clients where ever they are in the world.
South Africa is a global commercial and financial centre and a gateway to Africa’s emergent economy. We have one of the largest energy practices in South Africa with offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban, and we have had a presence in the region for more than a century.
Our team forms a crucial component of our wider Africa energy practice and provides our international clients with a hub for assisting them in investing and developing energy projects in the region. We advise clients across all energy sectors – oil and gas, power, renewables, and nuclear.
We represent a variety of financial institutions, international energy corporations, global infrastructure developers, government organisations, as well as state oil companies, international oil companies and utilities. Renewable energy companies and oil and gas providers look to us for in-depth experience in project structuring and development, financing options and solutions, and responsible investment and governance.
We continue to support industry innovation as our clients push the boundaries of both technological and geographical advancement, from the largest and most advanced renewable energy projects in the world to the exploration of new frontiers.
Our areas of work include
- appeals, judicial reviews, damage and injury claims, as well as other litigation / dispute resolution
- application for, execution and registration of rights
- bilateral investment treaties
- competition and regulatory advice
- downstream oil and gas / LNG / petrochemicals
- energy trading, energy and utilities finance
- energy and utilities (mergers & acquisitions)
- energy networks
- environmental and water law
- future energy - including renewable energy
- land acquisition, prospecting and enterprises
- midstream oil and gas refining and manufacturing
- offshore – shipping / contractors
- restructuring / privatisation, risk management and securitisation
- surface use and relationships with land owners
- traditional, tribal and trust law and land restitution
- tax, royalty, and other fiscal implications
- upstream oil and gas.
Awards and rankings
- Band 1 – Projects & Energy – Africa-wide, Chambers Global, 2012-2016
- Band 1 – Projects & Energy - South Africa Chambers Global, 2012, 2014 - 2016
- Tier 1 – Energy & Infrastructure: Energy, IFLR 1000, 2015
- Tier 1 – Energy & Infrastructure: Oil and Gas, IFLR 1000, 2015
- Tier 1 – Energy & Infrastructure: Infrastructure, IFLR 1000, 2015
- Tier 1 – Energy & Infrastructure: Corporate, IFLR 1000, 2014
- Tier 1 – Energy & Infrastructure: Finance, IFLR 1000, 2014
- Tier 1 – Energy & Infrastructure: Project Development, IFLR 1000, 2014
- Tier 1 – Energy & Infrastructure: Disputes, IFLR 1000, 2014
- Tier 1 - Projects and infrastructure, Legal 500 EMEA, 2013
- Highly recommended (top tier) in South Africa - Energy and Infrastructure rankings, Energy and Infrastructure: Sub-Saharan Africa Guide 2013, IFLR 1000, 2013
- Legal Adviser of the Year, Africa Investor Infrastructure Investment Awards, 2012
- Middle East & Africa Renewables Deal of the Year, (Lesedi & Letatsi PV), Project Finance Awards, 2012
- African Solar Deal of the Year, (Abengoa Khi Solar One CSP), Project Finance Magazine, 2012
- African Solar Deal of the Year, (Ilanga 1), Project Finance International Awards, 2015