"They have been fantastic, very helpful and very insightful. The firm's international platform really helps us and they are always very collaborative." Chambers & Partners, South Africa 2018.
Our South African insurance team is ranked Band 1 by Chambers and maintains a leading reputation in the market for complex insurance and reinsurance disputes and transactions. Acting for a range of clients in the sector, we provide advice to a number of foreign and local insurance and reinsurance providers throughout the globe. Supported by our strong network of international offices, we offer seamless advice on domestic, pan-African and cross-continent matters in the industry throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
We deliver a complete service across all commercial, regulatory and dispute resolution matters relating to insurance law for long-term and short-term insurers and reinsurers and insurance intermediaries.
We have assisted in the drafting and implementation of insurance legislation, and with more than 60 years’ experience in the field we have forged substantial contact within the industry and its leading bodies, placing our team of expert insurance lawyers at the forefront of the sector.
Our areas of work include
- aviation and marine insurance
- business and personal lines insurance
- construction and engineering insurance
- dispute resolution
- fire, motor accident and general liability insurance
- insurance legislation
- intermediary services
- long term insurance and pensions (e.g. life, endowment, annuity)
- medical malpractice insurance
- medical schemes
- mergers and acquisitions
- policy drafting and underwriting advice
- product and environmental liability
- professional liability
- registration of new insurers
- regulatory advice
- subrogated recoveries and defences
- the consequences of the failure of insurance corporations.