Technology and innovation
‘Sources say: “They've got very good experience in the ICT market.” “Communication is generally very good; I can't fault them for anything.”’
Chambers Global 2013
Our South African technology and innovation team is recognised within the market for its strong presence in the sector. We act for a range of prominent clients including information technology, electronic commerce, financial services, media, telecommunications and other technology-based companies.
Advising on the most cutting edge developments in IT law, our team is at the forefront for technology-driven transactions and litigation. We provide detailed and tailored advice in media, technology and telecoms law and understand the intricacies of this ever converging industry. Working on numerous domestic and cross-border deals, we provide commercially minded and practical advice to our clients across South Africa, also working closely with our teams throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Our areas of work include
- corporate transactions
- data privacy
- dispute resolution
- domain names
- intellectual property
- trade secrets.
Our recent work
- Advising Reunert Limited on the ZAR188m acquisition of ECN.
- Advising Dimension Data t/a Internet Solutions on competition issues resulting from abuse of dominance claim brought by Telkom SA Ltd.
- Advising Seacom Limited on contractual, regulatory and competition law issues in various jurisdictions including South Africa, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzanian, Mozambique and Djibouti.
- Advising Hewlett Packard on the establishment of 10 local subsidiaries across Africa.
- Representing Screamers Telecoms (Pty) Ltd in its defence against a claim brought for the alleged unauthorised use of radio frequency spectrum.
- Advising the City of Johannesburg on its multisource transaction involving four vendors in the outsourcing of information technology infrastructure and services.