Emergency Response: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Tel: +27 (0)71 609 2336
Our South African casualty response practice is well known in the African market for its strong capabilities across the full spectrum of maritime casualty matters. We provide advice on the market’s most complex, environmentally sensitive and politically charged maritime disasters with a level of expertise unrivalled by many on the continent.
Working for a number of ship-owners, operators and hull, liability and cargo insurers, our specialist casualty response lawyers provide practical legal advice on the claims and investigations that follow incidents within the maritime sector, aided by our in-house Master Mariner. We have over 20 years’ experience in acting on the sector’s major casualties and with on the ground expertise at all South African ports, we are recognised leaders in the field.
We can provide immediate practical legal advices and assistance from experienced casualty lawyers 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Our areas of work include
- loss of life
Our recent work
- mv Rena – Advised the vessel’s owners and insurers in all matters arising from this grounding and total loss, the largest ever marine environmental incident in New Zealand.
- Mt Salvaliant – Advised the vessel’s owners and P&I Insurers following the stranding of 11 barges, floating dock and pontoon off Cape Town during bad weather.
- mv Angel 1 – Advised the hull and machinery underwriters in all matters arising from this grounding off Mauritius.
- mv Smart – Advised cargo insurers on this Capesize load of coal on the salvage operation and recovery grounding off Richards Bay.
Awards and accolades
- Chambers UK 2013, Shipping - “Norton Rose Fulbright is highly rated for its work on admiralty, marine insurance and casualty response matters, in addition to its dry shipping and contractual dispute practice. Sources highlight the team’s serious international reach and comment that it is a really top-quality firm with top shipping practice.”
- Chambers UK 2012, Dispute Resolution: Elite - “The firm has a complete understanding of both legal and practical dynamics – the lawyers know the people, the players and the issues involved.”