John heads the corporate, mergers and acquisitions team in Cape Town.
John has acted for a number of domestic and multi-national companies and he has significant experience advising clients on acquisitions and disposals (private and public), banking and financial services related matters. John’s clients include Investec Bank Limited, Standard Chartered Bank plc, Rand Merchant Bank, Macquarie Securities, Nedbank, Metropolitan Holdings Limited, BNP Paribas and Société Générale.
John has advised clients on matters regarding the application of the Companies Act, the Securities Regulation Code on Takeovers and Mergers and the JSE Listing Requirements.
John holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Econ) degree and a Bachelor of Laws degree. John has experience of English and Australian company law having worked for leading law firms in London (Slaughter & May) and Brisbane (Minter Ellison).
Selected client work
- Acted for Hans Merensky Holdings Ltd in regard to the purchase of MTO Forestry in Cape Town.
- Assisted Rhodes Food Group Proprietary Limited with the acquisition of Giants Canning CC.
- Assisted BNP Paribus in its acquisition of Cadiz Holdings Ltd’s subsidiaries. This involved conducting a legal due diligence investigation of certain target companies belonging to Cadiz Holdings Ltd in respect of a proposed acquisition, assisting with the negotiation and completion of the transaction documents, including a service level agreement.
- Advised Wuhan Development Investment Co Ltd on its acquisition of Faure Wine Farms (Pty) Ltd. This involved conducting a due diligence investigation, negotiating and completing the acquisition agreement.
- Advising Stonewall Mining (Pty) Ltd on its reverse listing on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- Assisted Stonewall Resources Ltd (listed on the ASX) with the sale of Stonewall Mining (Pty) Ltd to Shandong Qixing Iron Tower Co., Ltd with a total deal value of over US$141.5 million.
The need for reform of the South African financial services sector became a topic of serious discussion in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis. Twin Peaks, a model for financial sector regulation which has been adopted by various countries across the globe, has since also become the chosen model of regulation in South Africa..
June 09, 2016
From April 1, 2015 South African domestic hedge funds were declared “collective investment schemes” and are now regulated by the Collective Investment Schemes Contro.
March 07, 2016
A cross-border team from Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Stonewall Resources Ltd (Stonewall) on the sale of its subsidiary Stonewall Mining (Proprietary) Limited...
November 25, 2013