Stacey A. Martinez
Chief Operating Officer, United States
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Stacey A. MartinezvCard
Related services and key industries
Stacey Martinez is Norton Rose Fulbright's Global Co-Head of Life Sciences and Healthcare. She joined the firm in 1988 and has developed a strong client oriented foundation as a result of her experience representing a range of public and private sector clients in a variety of matters.
Today, her litigation practice focuses on products liability and class actions, including pharmaceutical and medical device matters, and cases involving exposure to toxic substances. She is admitted to the US District Courts, Western, Eastern, Northern and Southern Divisions of Texas.
A life-long Texan, Stacey's family had an early influence on her work ethic and her approach to developing a practice style that never loses sight of her client's concerns and overall strategy. Her grandmother was an entrepreneur in southeast Texas, starting a business that is still in her family. As a result of growing up in that business environment, Stacey developed an intuitive understanding of the unique demands business leaders face and applies those lessons to the advice and counsel she provides her clients.
In addition to representing companies across the country, Stacey strives to create a positive work environment that supports teamwork, diversity, trust, respect and excellence, while playing a pivotal role in guiding the office's involvement and strategy in Central Texas.
Stacey has been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer, a recommended lawyer in product liability and mass tort defense by Legal 500 and as one of The Best Lawyers in America in health care litigation. Her civic involvement includes serving on the Board of Directors for the Capital of Texas Public Communications Council (KLRU-TV). She is also an avid supporter of the arts and education, serving on the Advisory Council to the Paramount Theatre and as a former member of the Women's Leadership Council of the Long Center for the Performing Arts and the Austin Community College Foundation.
Stacey relaxes by reading, watching movies, cycling, fly fishing and playing golf.
JD, St. Mary's Law School, 1988
BBA, Accounting, Texas A&M University, 1983
Stacey was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1988, and is currently admitted to the U S. District Courts, Western, Eastern, Northern and Southern Divisions of Texas.
- Texas State Bar
- Represented two semiconductor companies against claims that the use of certain chemicals caused birth defects (multi-plaintiff litigations in Delaware, Illinois and Texas)
- Represented hospital system in litigation involving product liability claims and the nation's largest outbreak of fungal meningitis. (MDL in Boston)
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company against claims that an over the counter product was defective and caused neurological injuries (MDL in Florida; class actions in the US and Canada)
- Represented a major automotive manufacturer in a class action involving claims of fraud and violations of consumer protection statutes
- Represented a medical device company defending claims that penile implants were defective (multi-plaintiff cases in Texas)
- Represented a major international vaccine manufacturer against claims that a preservative in vaccines caused neurological deficits and autism in children (multi-plaintiff litigations across the US)
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company defending claims that a drug caused impulsive behaviors (multi-plaintiff cases in the US and class actions in Canada)
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company defending a claim that a medical injectable device was defective and caused an infection
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company defending claims that a weight loss medication was defective and caused heart and lung problems (multi-plaintiff cases and class action in Texas)
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company defending claims that a drug causes heart attacks and strokes
- Counsels a pharmaceutical company with respect to injuries allegedly sustained during clinical trials
- Represented a pharmaceutical company against claims that the handling of chemotherapeutic agent caused birth defects
- Represented a psychiatric hospital in several cases defending claims of fraud and false imprisonment
- Represented a clinical laboratory against claims for failure to warn that certain foods could cause a positive drug test
- Represented a chemical manufacturer against claims that warehouse fire resulted in exposure to toxic chemicals causing multiple personal injuries
- Represented a technology company defending a claim of theft of trade secrets
- Represented a psychiatric hospital against multiple claims of sexual assault and false imprisonment
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Dispute resolution - Product Liability & mass tort and class action: Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices - defense, The Legal 500, 2017 - 2019
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Dispute resolution - Product Liability mass tort and class action: Automotive/transport, The Legal 500, 2018 - 2019
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Healthcare: life sciences, The Legal 500, 2019
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Dispute resolution - Product Liability & Mass Tort Defense: Toxic Tort, The Legal 500, 2015
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2013 - 2014
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2013 - 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2015 - 2020
- State Bar of Texas
- Travis County Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- University of Texas School of Law, Adjunct professor, Texas Civil Litigation: Pretrial and Trial Strategy
- Capital of Texas Public Communications Council (KLRU-TV), Board Member
- Austin Community College Foundation, Board Member 2014 - 2017
- Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Long Center for the Performing Arts, Women's Leadership Council 2013- 2015
- Paramount Theatre, Advisory Council
- Volunteer Legal Services, Board Member 2004 - 2010