H. Douglas Wabner
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
H. Douglas WabnervCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Doug Wabner, who joined in 1989, is a partner in the Dallas office. His litigation practice concentrates on the defense of various types of personal injury actions with a focus on products liability and defense actions concerning medical and surgical devices and pharmaceuticals. He also has experience handling matters involving household products, numerous types of mechanical devices, motor vehicles, construction equipment, toxic torts and firearms. He has been involved in numerous trials, serving as both first and second chair, in both federal and state courts. In addition, he has experience in oil and gas matters and is an active member of the Life Sciences, Pharma and Health Care Litigation practice group. He also served as the US Hiring Partner for the firm.
JD, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1985
BA, University of Illinois, 1982
While in law school, Doug was a member of the Southern Methodist University Law Review. He was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1985. He is also licensed to practice in the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Federal District Courts as well as in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Texas State Bar
- Presently serving as a national team member and trial counsel in a mass tort pharmaceutical matter; cases are pending in various federal and state courts; involved in strategy, discovery and case work-ups
- Presently serving as the head of a team defending an international pharmaceutical company in mass tort pharmaceutical litigation pending in a federal MDL, various state court coordinated proceedings, and in individual state courts; involvement includes strategy, discovery and the management of a team of lawyers throughout the country
- One of two (2) lawyers retained by a major pharmaceutical company to formulate and negotiate a mass tort settlement; a multi-billion dollar resolution program resulted which led to in excess of 99% of the claims being resolved
- Presently serving as national trial coordination counsel in connection with defending an international pharmaceutical company. Trial cases are pending in a federal MDL, in various state court coordinated actions, and in various individual state courts.
- Assist and consult with in-house counsel (both US and non-US based entities) regarding litigation avoidance, preparation, handling and strategies. Including advising clients on matters regarding discovery issues, document retention issues, trial issues, resolution issues and overall strategy matters.
- Trial counsel in recent wrongful death lawsuit involving a pharmaceutical product. Defense verdict was obtained.
- Served as a national team member and a trial team member in defending two major healthcare companies involved in and with medical products; matters were pending in various state and federal courts; managed a team of lawyers from multiple firms and served as co-counsel in trials involving the product at issue; all trials were successful, including one that resulted in a directed verdict for the client after a three-week trial; a successful settlement program was implemented after such trials
- Served as a member of a team involved in a mass tort pharmaceutical matter concerning an anti-depression product; involvement included activities in both federal and state courts
- Served as lead counsel involved in defending a company involved with line-locating services in the oil and gas industry; suits were filed after a gas line explosion involving a fatality and injuries to others; very successful settlements were reached on the eves of trials and after extensive discovery
- Served on national teams in large mass tort matters involving a cholesterol medication, a pain management medication and a colon-cleansing product; involved in strategy, discovery and trials
- Served as lead trial counsel for a major manufacturer of construction equipment; one case, involving multiple plaintiffs was tried over a six-week period; results were favorable which led to a successful settlement of the remaining 80+ claims
- Served as co-counsel in a federal court trial involving a household product; a defense verdict was obtained after a week-long trial
- Has tried numerous personal injury cases to verdict in various Texas state and federal courts
- Who's Who Legal, Product Liability Defense, Law Business Research Ltd., 2019
- Defense Research Institute
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Instructor
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Dallas Bar Association