Katharyn Ann Grant
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Katharyn Ann GrantvCard
Related services and key industries
As counsel in the firm's San Antonio office, Kathy Grant focuses her practice primarily on false advertising and unfair competition, products liability and litigation. Kathy has particular experience in litigation involving pharmaceutical products, medical devices and oil and gas pipeline equipment. Her extensive litigation experience includes management of fact and expert discovery, dispositive and non-dispositive motion practice, arbitration, trial and appeal.
Before attending law school, Kathy served as a bioenvironmental engineering officer in the US Air Force and an engineer officer in the US Public Health Service, specializing in the recognition, prevention and control of work-related musculoskeletal injuries. She is a registered professional engineer (inactive) in Texas. She is currently admitted to the Texas State Bar and to federal practice in the Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas.
JD, with high honors (Order of the Coif), The University of Texas School of Law, 2005
Ph.D, Industrial Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1990
BS, magna cum laude, Bioengineering,Texas A&M University, 1987
In law school, Kathy was an associate editor for the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal.
Kathy was admitted to practice law in Texas in 2005. She is currently admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas.
- Texas State Bar
- Represents branded pharmaceutical companies in false advertising and unfair litigation.
- Developed and presented technical experts in federal false advertising cases brought by U.S. manufacturers of carbon steel flanges used in oil and gas pipelines against foreign competitors, one of which resulted in a $31 million jury verdict in favor of the clients.
- Developed and presented fact and expert witnesses in federal false advertising case brought by a leading U.S. medical food manufacutrer, leading to a favorable settlement following a two-week jury trial.
- Defended pharmaceutical company against claims brought pursuant to the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act, resulting in dismissal of action.
- Defended pharmaceutical companies in arbitral proceeding and subsequent court actions in cases alleging breach of intellectual property licensing agreements.
- Defended pharmaceutical company against claims brought by former employee pursuant to the California Insurance Frauds Prevention Act.
- Represented major pharmaceutical and medical device companies facing mass tort alleations in MDL proceedings in federal district court.
- Represented manufacturer of a cancer diagnostic test in federal false advertising case against a competitor.
- Represented leading global manufacturer of occupational safety and health equipment in a challenge brought before the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Better Business Bureau.
- Defended semiconductor companies against personal injury claims alleging that use of certain chemicals in the workplace cause birth defects.
- Defended garage door repair company in action alleging trademark infringement and unfair competition.
- Defended leading manufacturer and distributor of office copier equipment in series of cases alleging breach of lease and services agreements.
- Rising Star, S.A. Scene, Scene Publications, LLC, 2009, 2011
Kathy is a contributor to the Brand Protection Blog, addressing legal issues concerning product branding, intellectual property, trademarks and copyrights. Other recent publications include:
- Co-author, "Medical experts cast doubt on multivitamin health benefits - Are enforcement efforts and consumer class actions far behind?," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, January 13, 2014
- Co-author, "Medical experts cast doubt on multivitamin health benefits," December 23, 2013
- "Know When to Hold Them: The Ins and Outs of Litigation Holds and Document Preservation," Association of Corporate Counsel South/Central Texas Chapter Roundtable Discussion, San Antonio, TX, November 30, 2011
- "Truth in Drug Advertising: Avoiding Consumer Fraud and False Advertising Allegations," ACI Conference on Advertising, eMarketing and Promotions for the Pharmaceutical Industry, Philadelphia, PA, March 14, 2011
- State Bar of Texas
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Pro bono volunteer, San Antonio Legal Services Association (family law clinic, veteran's expunction clinic, wills clinic)
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church, Lector
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Texas student mentor