Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
James is a specialist environmental lawyer based in Durban. Situated in our Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions team, his practice extends across a variety of areas within the NRF Business Law Department.
Prior to joining the practice he worked in the litigation department of a leading Durban property law firm, gaining valuable property law and litigation experience.
James completed his LLM in 2017 focusing on international environmental law. He also has a particular interest in the administrative and regulatory aspects of environmental and corporate law and has been involved in advising on and drafting of legal processes relating to various administrative procedures.
James has been involved in a variety of matters relating to environmental and commercial law across various sectors including energy, mining and manufacturing. His experience includes providing regulatory and commercial advice, conducting due diligence investigations, and drafting of topical environmental updates for both internal and external distribution by clients.
James holds an LLB and LLM in environmental law and was admitted as an attorney in 2017.
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa 2017
- Drafting, negotiating and concluding agreements involving the transfer of participating interests in offshore exploration rights.
- Assisting Scatec Solar ASA on all environmental issues in respect of three photovoltaic projects.
- Conducting a due diligence on the midstream and downstream supply chain of a major member of the upstream petroleum industry, including the review of customer and franchise agreements.
- Advising on various proposed energy developments in connection with the 2020 Risk Mitigation IPP Procurement Programme, including the review of project documents and preparation of environmental opinions and bid documents;
- Advising various members of the upstream petroleum industry on various regulatory and commercial matters.
- Providing environmental legal advice to Anglo American in respect of various legacy mining sites.
- Conducting a legal due diligence on behalf of Emvelo Holdings Proprietary Limited in respect of energy asset acquisition.
- Providing advice to international maritime insurance underwriters in relation to environmental liability.
- Assisting Renergen Limited on environmental aspects for a secondary listing on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- Advising major importers and retailers in relation to various regulatory decisions and engaging with regulators on their behalf.
- Assisting various European and international airlines on litigation and dispute resolution processes in a team management capacity.
- Advising Astron Energy on potential supply chain risk posed by COVID-19.
- Carrying out a detailed environmental due diligence on behalf of Enel Green Power South Africa in respect of a large scale renewable energy development.
- Environmental due diligence on behalf of Thebe Renewable Energy Holdings and Stanlib in respect of a renewable energy acquisition.
- Assisting Anglo American with regulator engagement in connection with the development of a wastewater treatment works.
- Advising the South African Petroleum Industry Association (SAPIA) on pollution liability.
- Advising a local municipality on environmental and land use planning matters relating to its opposition towards a mining development, including the drafting of its appeal submissions against the award of the mine's environmental authorisation.
- Advising Safripol Proprietary Limited regarding an air emission incident.
- Advising a large meat importer on food safety issues in connection with regulatory and litigious challenges.
- Engaging with regulatory authorities on behalf of the Offshore Petroleum Association of South Africa.
- Performing company secretarial duties on behalf of oil and gas industry associations and individual members.
- Assisting subsidiaries of Africa Energy Corp with two cross-border farm-out deals involving the transfer of participating interests in an exploration right off the West Coast of South Africa.
- Providing advice to ACTOM (Pty) Limited, Energiser Holdings Inc. and Avery Dennison in respect of waste management and industry waste management plans.
- Conducting a legal due diligence on behalf of Investec Bank Limited and UK Climate Investments in relation to their investment in a dedicated renewable energy private equity investment vehicle.
- Conducting a detailed environmental due diligence on behalf of Akhona Group Proprietary Limited in its acquisition of a large manufacturing business.
Environmental Law Association of South Africa.
International Association of Impact Assessment (South Africa).
Nicola (Network for Contaminated Land).