Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Adam Smith is a tax lawyer based in Melbourne.
He has a particular focus on income tax, GST and stamp duty, and guides his clients through the complex tax implications of mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, divestments, group restructures, financing arrangements, property transactions and wealth management. Adam's clients are in industries such as banking and finance, infrastructure, property, insurance, telecommunications and retail. He has particular experience advising on the tax and duty implications of major corporate transactions, including a $1 billion commercial and residential development in Melbourne, and the Australian aspects of a $4 billion merger between two of the world's largest book publishers.
Adam is a prominent Australian tax underwriting specialist. He has advised insurers on hundreds of warranty and indemnity insurance deals. He is valued by W&I insurance clients for his strong technical capabilities and commercial approach, along with his unrivalled understanding of the underwriting process and the concerns of underwriters.
Adam has been named by Legal500 as a "next generation partner" who is "developing a reputation as a leading tax advisor".
- Supreme Court of Victoria
- Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory
- Sumitomo Chemical Company - providing tax advice to Sumitomo in respect of its ~$1 billion acquisition of Nufarm Limited's crop protection business in Latin America.
- General Motors - providing tax advice to GM Holden in respect of its withdrawal from the Australian market.
- AIG - in relation to the provision of warranty and indemnity insurance (various transactions). Each transaction involves the provision of advice in relation to the tax risks of the deal, review of the tax due diligence materials, discussions with the insured's tax advisors and drafting deemed amendments to tax warranties and tax indemnities in the sale agreement.
Publication | May 21, 2020
Publication | June 14, 2019
Publication | May 28, 2019