Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
James Rigney is a disputes and insurance lawyer based in Sydney.
James focuses on disputes and advisory work in the insurance space and in particular in the areas of construction and engineering and technology.
James advises local and international insurers on coverage issues arising out of claims and acts in the defence of insureds. In addition to insurers, James' clients include technology companies, construction companies and professionals such as engineers, architects and consultants as well as accountants, tax professionals and real estate agents. James also provides coverage advice and acts in litigation on other risks including directors and officers liability, management liability and public and product liability. James is admitted to practice law both in Australia and the United Kingdom.
James prides himself on grappling with technical issues in a dispute and providing his clients with clear, concise and commercial advice.
- Bachelor of Laws, Macquarie University (2002)
- Bachelor of Media, Macquarie University (2002)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2003
- England and Wales 2007
- Beazley – responding to urgent declaratory proceedings including issues regarding dual insurance, and multiple insureds seeking to make claims on the policies across different policy years, in November 2017
- Brit - in defence of a $10 million claim by 30 Plaintiffs against an accountant arising out of investment advice provided, in May 2017
Construction and engineering
- Beazley - relation to a claim concerning the allegedly deficient design and construction of the APLNG pipeline project in Queensland which comprised of 13 gas pipelines and 25 associated above ground facilities in a claim in excess of $200 million, in 2017
- Brit - in relation to multiple claims and notifications in relation to the North West Rail Link in Sydney concerning alleged engineering design defects in relation to air conditioning systems in underground stations, August 2017
- SwissRe – in defence of a claim against an architect relating to contract administration services provided in relation to a large residential development, December 2017
- IPSTAR Australia - in defence of a product liability and competition claim regarding satellites and broadband valued at $10 million (both in the NSW Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal), September 2017
- Beazley – in relation to a dispute arising out of the design and construction of an operational plant and buildings for 2 separate iron ore mining projects in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, May 2017
- James Rigney, "Making a difference beyond the world of insurance," Insurance law tomorrow blog, May 2017
- James Rigney, British Waterways v Royal & Sun Alliance Plc, insurance blog, 2012
- Lecture on legal drafting, Australian Law Students Association Conference, 2015, University of Sydney
- Negotiation seminar with Jodi Steele and Raphael Perla, 2015
- Lecture "How to not get sued," University of Western Sydney, 2015
- Internal CLEs on the Insurance Contracts Act, 2015
- Engineering discussion group (2016)
- Claims Discussion Group (2012)
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group (2012)
- Australian Insurance Law Association (2010)
- New South Wales Law Society (2003)