Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Kerry Stewart is an insurance and commercial litigation lawyer based in Sydney.
Kerry focuses on advising and conducting complex litigation in relation to claims arising from a range of policies and conducting litigation. She is also an expert in representing Government agencies both in litigated matters, Coronial inquests and statutory inquiries.
Kerry has almost 20 years' experience in advising a wide range of clients including the Government sector, both State and Federal and the insurance industry.
Kerry's breadth of expertise covers:
- defending Government agencies from claims in negligence
- defending Government agencies and schools from claims for historical and current physical and sexual assaults in negligence and under the Sex Discrimination Act
- defending Government agencies from claims arising from intentional torts
- defending professional indemnity claims including medical negligence
- acting in complex insurance litigation
- advising Government agencies and appearing at Coronial inquests and statutory inquiries
Kerry's Government sector clients include New South Wales Health, New South Wales Police and the Department of Defence. Her reputation as a highly skilled litigation lawyer ensures Kerry not only advises and acts on behalf of her clients in litigated matters but is sought out in order to act in relation to matters which have the potential for public scrutiny, media attention and in which tensions often exist between the government agency, the Minister, relevant stakeholders and the public interest.
Kerry has considerable experience in conducting large, complex and multi-party litigation as well as providing advice on policy interpretation and coverage. She has defended large claims involving professional indemnity policies, public liability policies and contract works policies issued pursuant to construction contracts.
As an experienced litigator, Kerry has an excellent knowledge of practice, procedure and evidence and has extensive experience in qualifying experts in a wide range of fields. She is an experienced negotiator and frequently employs various forms of alternate dispute resolution when needed and when it best serves her clients' interests. She has resolved a large number of cases using mediation.