Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Bernie Walrut is a banking and insolvency lawyer based in Sydney. He has significant experience in advising financial institutions, funds, private equity groups, receivers, administrators and liquidators in complex restructuring and insolvency matters. Bernie has particular experience in advising private equity on the acquisition, restructure and sale of portfolio companies.
Bernie has advised on a number of the most significant restructures and insolvency related disputes in Australia. Bernie has also been involved in providing advice to funds, banks and large corporate groups regarding their financing arrangements and the restructure of those financial arrangements.
Bernie has undertaken further study and in 2011 he graduated from the Insolvency Practitioners Association of Australia (now ARITA) IEP program. Bernie is also a professional member of ARITA and the Turnaround Management Association.
LLB, Bond (2006)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2007
- Acting for the syndicate of lenders to the McAleese Transport Group in respect of the restructure of the group through a series of deeds of company arrangement using section 444GA of the Corporations Act;
- Advising a significant interested party in the restructure of the Channel 10 Group;
- Acting for the administrators of the Arrium Group (OneSteel) in respect of the restructure of certain elements of the South Australian operations of the Group;
- Acting for the financiers of the Thrive Group in its deed of company arrangement restructure and sale to the Sumo Group;
- Advising the financiers (through an informal restructure and subsequent loan to own strategy) of the largest dairy in Queensland; and
- Advising on a scheme of arrangement for one of the largest gold producers in the world.
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- Member of INSOL
January 07, 2020
December 18, 2019
Publication | September 24, 2020
Webinar | September 17, 2020
Publication | April 2019