Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Christian McMahon is a corporate lawyer based in Sydney.
Christian focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions. Christian also advises on joint ventures, shareholder arrangements, corporate restructures and general corporate and commercial matters.
Christian has experience in acting for domestic and international clients on complex corporate transactions. This experience has been gained through working with clients from a wide range of industries and sectors. Having previously practiced in the United Arab Emirates (both in Dubai and Abu Dhabi) for another leading law firm, Christian is experienced in advising on corporate structures and issues that arise on complex cross-border transactions. He has also previously advised commercial clients in relation to favourable offshore corporate structuring (involving Cayman Islands and BVI holding companies), which has given him an understanding of certain offshore structuring for transactions and an understanding of the broader BVI and Cayman Islands legal landscape.
Christian is committed to assisting his clients by meeting their commercial objectives through the provision of robust, tailored and pragmatic legal advice.
- Bachelor of Laws from the University of Technology, Sydney (2011 - 2013).
- Bachelor of Business from the University of Technology, Sydney (2008 - 2010).
- St Aloysius College, Sydney (2002 - 2007).
- High Court of Australia 2014
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2014
- Independent Living Specialists (ILS) - advised the founders of ILS, a Sydney-based healthcare company with a focus on the sale and distribution of medical and homecare equipment, in relation to the sale of a controlling interest to US based private equity firm, Riverside.
- Madison Dearborn Partners (MDP), a leading Chicago based private equity firm - on the Australian legal aspects of its majority acquisition of InMoment, a leader in cloud-based customer experience management platforms and subsequent bolt-on / business acquisition of MartizCX, a leader in experience management for big business.
- Arbejdsmarkedets Tillægspension (ATP), Denmark's largest pension fund - advised in connection with its indirect investment in ConnectEast, the entity responsible for the operation and maintenance of Melbourne's East Link toll way road connecting Melbourne's eastern suburbs.
- Maoneng Australia, an Australian renewable energy developer and sponsor - on its sale of a majority interest in the 255MW Sunraysia Solar PV Farm near Balranald in Southern New South Wales, through a competitive sales process.
- Founders of Nature's Care - on the sale of a majority interest in leading vitamin skin care group Nature's Care, to a Chinese consortium of SOE's/private equity funds by way of a competitive sale process in 2018. The transaction was one of the largest private equity transactions in Australia in 2018.
- ASX-listed Downer Group - on numerous acquisitions and disposals in the road maintenance, engineering, commercial laundries and transport sectors since 2018.
- Direct Capital Investments Limited - in relation to its sale of its majority stake in Hiway Group Limited to The Riverside Company.
- Summit Partners L.P., a Boston-based private equity firm - on its acquisition of a majority stake in Princess Polly, an Australian online fashion company.
- Beijing-based fintech solutions company, Pintec Technology Holdings Ltd - on its acquisition of InfraRisk, a leading supplier of credit risk related software and services in Australia.
- Spotless Group Limited - on the legal aspects of its large and competitive sales process for the proposed sale of its Australian and New Zealand commercial laundry businesses.
- New Zealand private equity firm, Direct Capital - on the Australian legal aspects of its sale of a controlling stake in New Zealand based maintenance and rehabilitation services business, Hiway Group, to US based private equity firm, the Riverside Company.
- Longmoat Pty Ltd - on its acquisition of 100% of the shares in a major Sydney based supplier of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC), as well as the acquisition of a majority stake in a national solar and energy solutions Engineering, Procurement and Construction provider in commercial, industrial and small utility scale markets.
- Spotless - on its acquisition of Western Australia-based market leading mechanical contracting, maintenance and services business, Envar Group.
- Advised a founder shareholder in connection with an option for the sale of his Australian pharmaceutical business.
- International Petroleum Investment Company PJSC (IPIC), an Abu Dhabi-based Sovereign wealth fund - on its merger with Mubadala Development Company PJSC to create the 14th largest state-owned investment fund globally with more than US$125 billion combined total assets, completed in 2017.
- Saudi Telecom Company - on its subscription for a minority stake in Careem Inc., the app-based peer-to-peer ride-hailing service in the Middle East and North Africa, completed in 2017.
- Hapag-Lloyd AG - on its acquisition of United Arab Shipping Company Limited, a container carrier company located in the Middle East, completed in May 2017.
- Smiths Detection US Holdings LLC - on its acquisition of the UAE owned assets as part of the global Morpho detection business from Morpho USA, Inc. and Safran USA, Inc.
- Unilabs, Laboratoires D'analyses Medicales SA (a swiss-based medical diagnostics company) - on its acquisition of a majority stake of Scientific Clinical Laboratories, a Dubai-based medical diagnostics clinical laboratory, completed in July 2017.
- Qatar Water and Electricity Company (second largest utility company in the MENA region) - on its acquisition of a minority stake in Dutch-based AES Baltic Holdings B.V. for the construction and operation of a 241 mega watt power plant in Jordan.
- Law Society of New South Wales
- High Court of Australia
Publication | July 17, 2020
Publication | July 08, 2020
Publication | May 11, 2020