Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Dalvin Chien is a senior commercial and technology lawyer based in our Sydney office with significant experience in technology transactions, privacy, and electronic commerce.
Dalvin has acted for both vendors and procurers of technology which gives him valuable insight into commercial and risk drivers. This in turn allows him to adopt a pragmatic and values based approach to the advice he provides, the documents he reviews, and the negotiations he leads. Dalvin also has extensive industry experience including when he was senior legal counsel in a leading technology company and his time as senior legal counsel in various public sector organisations. As a result, he has developed a deep appreciation of the practical application of the services he provides and the issues facing senior executives, sales leads, procurement managers, and compliance executives.
Dalvin regularly speaks at client and industry events on technology, privacy, and commercial law topics.
Dalvin is recognised as a 'Next Generation Lawyer' in the IT and Telecommunications category in Australia by Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Masters of Law (Government and Commercial Law), Australian National University (2007)
- Bachelor of Laws / Bachelor of Commerce, University of New South Wales (2003)
- High Court of Australia
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2004
- Recognised as a 'Next Generation Lawyer' in the IT and Telecommunications category in Australia by Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Dalvin has presented and lead workshops on a range of commercial, technology and privacy topics, most recently:
- Cybersecurity: War Stories - Workshop for a national integrated services company (August, 2018)
- Cybersecurity and Data Security - Presentation to the Board of a global consulting organisation (July, 2018)
- Two Months In and One Month Out - Protection of Personal Information under the Privacy Act and the GDPR, Breakfast Seminar (June, 2018)
- One Month In and Two Months Out - Protection of Personal Information under the Privacy Act and the GDPR, Breakfast Seminar (April, 2018)
- A Rumor of War: Regulation, Revelations & the State of Cybersecurity in 2017 - Thomson Reuters Peer Monitor Australia Summit (November, 2017)
- Course Convenor and lecturer, Commercial Drafting, Australian National University
- Non-Executive Director and Risk and Finance Committee Member, Community Options Australia
- Member and Vice-Chair (Technology Sourcing Committee), International Technology Lawyers Association
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, New South Wales Law Society