Global Co-Head of Life Sciences and Healthcare; Partner
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Antitrust and competition
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Class actions
- Product liability
- Crisis management
- International arbitration
- Regulation and investigations
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG)
Randy Sutton practises dispute resolution and regulatory law.
Mr. Sutton has represented clients in the provincial and federal courts across Canada, in arbitrations (both domestic and international) and in a variety of administrative proceedings. He is a member of the British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Ontario bars.
His litigation practice includes the representation of clients in commercial, class action, competition, environmental, product liability, product recall, insurance, defamation and franchise matters. He has particular experience in class action litigation matters and has acted in class actions throughout Canada. Mr. Sutton also provides ongoing regulatory advice in a variety of areas and has dealt with a number of federal and provincial regulatory authorities and represented clients in regulatory investigations. He has also conducted a number of internal investigations for clients concerning regulated conduct, and provides risk management advice.
Mr. Sutton is the co-chair of our national class actions team, global co-head of our life sciences and healthcare industry group, and the partner responsible for professional liability matters in Ontario.
- British Columbia 1998
- Ontario 2005
- Saskatchewan 2015
The following are examples of the matters Mr. Sutton has been involved in:
- Representing a multi-national pharmaceutical company in proposed class actions and individual litigation matters in Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia, including the successful dismissal of a claim following a four-week trial
- Representing a consumer goods company in obtaining a retraction of incorrect media coverage and in the dismissal or related litigation arising
- Representing various defendants in class actions in Ontario, Saskatchewan and British Columbia alleging violations of the Competition Act
- Representing a medical device manufacturer in proposed class action litigation arising from a product recall
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in its defence of class actions in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Ontario arising from litigation under the PM(NOC) Regulations
- Representing a United States company in an international arbitration seated in Canada and related litigation in the Federal Court of Canada
- Representing a consumer goods company in its defence of a motion seeking to certify a class action alleging misleading advertising
- Representing a franchisor with respect to a rescission claim by a franchisee and a claim challenging the validity of a non‑competition clause
- Representing a franchisor with respect to a claim for damages arising from the termination of a franchise agreement
- Representing a technology company in litigation alleging the improper use of intellectual property
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Litigation – Product Liability, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Class Action Litigation 2018-2023; Product Liability Law, 2020-2023
- Member of Product Liability Team of the Year, LMG Life Sciences, 2021
- Who's Who Legal, Recommended as a Global Leader Life Sciences – Product Liability 2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2021: recommended in Litigation – Product Liability; 2020: recommended in Class Actions
- Lexpert Special Edition Health Sciences, 2021
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- LMG Expert Guides, recognized for Canada in the areas of Non-IP Litigation and Enforcement and Regulatory, 2020
- Client Choice, USA & Canada 2014: Individual Winner for Arbitration, Toronto
- Pharmaceutical Advertising Law and Regulation: Canada Chapter, International Comparative Law Guide, 2020.
- Product Liability, in Life Sciences Law in Canada, 2nd Edition, March 2019
- Recent Developments in Canadian Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Product Liability Class Actions, DRI - For The Defense, September 2017.
- D&O Developments - 2021 and Beyond, September 2021.
- Class Actions Mid-Year Update, June 2021.
- Developments in Privacy Law Class Actions in Canada, Vancouver, October 2018.
- Developments in Consumer Protection Law in Canada, Montreal, May 2018.
- Food Law TeleSummit, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Toronto, November 2016.
- Developments in International Class Actions, Osgoode Hall Class Actions Conference, Toronto, April 2015.
- Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation, Client seminar, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Toronto, May 2014.
- Update on Product Liability Litigation in Canada, Client seminar, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Toronto, April 2014.
- Norton Rose Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences Seminar, Litigation Update, April 2013.
- Recent Developments in Product Liability Cases, Ontario Bar Association, 4th Annual Class Actions Colloquium, December 2012.
- Lexpert Seminar, Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, Toronto, December 2011.
- Association of Corporate Counsel Convention, Cross-Border Litigation, Denver, CO, October 2011.
- Ontario Class Action Liaison Committee (2018-2019)
- Canadian Bar Association (1998-present)
- British Columbia Bar Association (1998-2005) Vancouver Civil Litigation Subsection co-chair (2003-2005)
- Ontario Bar Association (2005-present)
- Ontario Bar Association Class Actions Executive Member (2011-2017, 2018-2019)
- Ontario Bar Association Health Law Section Executive Member (2016-2017)
- Norton Rose Fulbright Canada United Way Campaign and Charitable Giving Campaign co-chair (2010-2015)
- The Advocates' Society (2005-present)
- Defence Research Institute, Class Actions and Multi-Party Litigation, international vice-chair (2016-2017)
August 25, 2022
August 24, 2021
July 07, 2021
Publication | September 14, 2022
Webinar | September 20, 2022
Update | August 03, 2022
Blog | February 25, 2022