Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jackie O'Brien is an intellectual property lawyer based in Sydney. She has more than 30 years' experience in IP litigation including trade mark, copyright and patent litigation and is highly regarded for her skill in project managing large and complex IP litigation matters, particularly those with global implications. As a brand protection specialist, Jackie is also experienced in trade mark oppositions, domain name disputes and the management of online and social media strategies.
Described as the 'consummate professional' by a major client she has demonstrated legal and technical versatility in matters across a broad range of industry sectors including pharmaceuticals, mining, food technology, lighting technology, media and entertainment, and financial services.
She is ranked in Chambers Global, Best Lawyers, Managing Intellectual Property and World Trade Mark Review as a leader in her field, and won the Partner of the Year Award in the 2014 Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards for the strength of her practice, the contribution she makes to the firm's corporate social responsibility program and her role as a mentor to other women.
Jackie has been a member of Norton Rose Fulbright Australia's Management Committee, and is a member of the firm's National Diversity & Inclusion and Graduate Recruitment Committees.
- BA LLB UNSW
- High Court of Australia 1985
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 1984
- Supreme Court of Western Australia 2001
- Chambers Global (Trade Mark & Copyright) (2003 to date)
- Best Lawyers
- World Trade Mark Reporter
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Star (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Who's Who Legal - Trade Marks
- Partner of the Year - Lawyers Weekly (2014)
- Finalist - Partner of the Year - Women in Law Awards (2014)
- Australian Law Awards - Finalist - Best in IP Litigation - Australasian Women in Business Law Awards (2013 & 2014)
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney
- Notary Public
- Member - Norton Rose Fulbright National Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Member - Norton Rose Fulbright Graduate Recruitment Committee
Demise of the machines: Full Court of the Federal Court of Australia overturns ruling on artificial intelligence as a patent ‘inventor’
Blog | May 25, 2022
Demise of the machines: Federal Court of Australia overturns ruling on artificial intelligence as a 'patent inventor'
Blog | May 05, 2022
Publication | April 2022
Publication | March 16, 2022