Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Katie Chung is an international disputes and arbitration lawyer based in Singapore.
With more than a decade of experience, Katie has advised and represented both private and state-owned clients in international arbitrations conducted under all major institutional and ad hoc arbitration rules. These disputes usually feature an Asian element, and involve a wide range of applicable laws and multijurisdictional parallel court proceedings.
Katie has extensive contentious experience in commodities, oil and gas, renewable energy and the power sector, and regularly advises on technology related disputes. She has also practised in Hong Kong and was seconded to an international oil major in Hong Kong.
Katie acts as lead counsel in international arbitrations, and regularly sits as an arbitrator, having accepted appointments in institutional arbitrations seated in Singapore or Hong Kong under the ICC, SIAC and HKIAC Rules. She is on the reserve panel of arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), the List of Arbitrators of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the Panel of International Arbitrators of the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) and the Panel of Arbitrators of the Thailand Arbitration Centre (THAC).
Prior to joining the firm in June 2010, Katie worked for several years in a leading boutique litigation and arbitration firm.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
Law, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Advocate & Solicitor (Supreme Court of Singapore, practising under section 36E of the Legal Profession Act)
- Solicitor, Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings)
- Future Leader in International Arbitration – Who's Who Legal 2021, 2022.
- Up and Coming, International Arbitration, Singapore – Chambers & Partners, 2022.
- Rising Star, Euromoney's 2021 Rising Stars Expert Guide in Commercial Arbitration.
- Rising Star, International Arbitration, Singapore – The Legal 500, 2020, 2021.
- Next Generation Lawyer, International Arbitration, Singapore – The Legal 500, 2019.
- Tier 2, International Arbitration practice, Singapore – The Legal 500, 2019, 2020.
- Top 40 Most Influential Lawyers under 40, Singapore Business Review, 2018.
- Confidentiality in International Arbitration, Kluwer Arbitration Practical Module – March 2020.
- "The Singapore High Court Grapples with Whether Minority Oppression Claims May or May Not Be Arbitrable" – Singapore Law Blog, 2 January 2015.
- "Singapore High Court opines on lacuna in the law on permanent anti-suit injunction in aid of foreign seated arbitration" – Singapore Law Blog, 21 October 2014.
- "Mauritius: Cruz City 1 Mauritius Holdings v Unitech Limited and Anor  SCJ 100", a casenote on the Mauritian Supreme Court judgment published in HK45 / HKIAC Newsletter, 3rd Edition, April – June 2014.
- "Deficient Pleadings not Fatal to Arbitral Award", LCIA YIAG e-newsletter, Summer 2012 edition.
- "Setting Aside of International Arbitral Awards in the Singapore Courts – Is it still a Near-Herculean Task?" - LCIA YIAG e-newsletter, December 2010.
- "The 2007 Amendments to the New Zealand Arbitration Act 1996 – A Commonwealth Perspective" - New Zealand Law Journal,  NZLJ 153-156.
- "Defining the Indefinable – Practical Problems of Confidentiality in Arbitration" - Journal of International Arbitration, Volume 26, Issue 5 (2009), pp. 609-645 (October 2009).
- "Protecting Confidentiality in Arbitration – the Way Forward" - ICC International Court of Arbitration Bulletin, Confidentiality in International Arbitration - 2009 Special Supplement, pp. 39 – 55.
- "Claims against Arbitrators for Breach of Ethical Duties", in Contemporary Issues in International Arbitration and Mediation, The Fordham Papers 2007, published by Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Arthur W. Rovine (ed), at pp. 225 – 246.
- Facilitator at SIAC China Academy 2020, Arbitrator Training, 21 August 2020
- Speaker at AIAC Webinar, Roundtable on Managing Expert Witnesses: Hot-Tubbing Included!, 18 June 2020
- Speaker at MCIA International Investment Arbitration Conference, Delhi, India, 18 January 2020
Member of the executive committee of the Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration and its publication sub-committee
Assistant editor of the Singapore Law Blog, publishing and speaking regularly on international arbitration.
'Buddy' in a Young ICCA Mentoring Group for aspiring international arbitration practitioners (2018-2020)
An elected member of the Council of the Law Society of Singapore for a two-year term which included participation in the Young Lawyers Task Force that studied and proposed ways to improve the professional training and the lives of younger lawyers (2015-2016)
- Mandarin Chinese
Norton Rose Fulbright recognised in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 Guide
January 12, 2023
47 lawyers promoted to partner and director worldwide
January 06, 2021
Singapore allows conditional fee arrangements
Publication | May 11, 2022
A tale of two cities – one award, two enforcement courts
Publication | May 11, 2022
Supply chains perspective
Publication | March 10, 2022