Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Brian Milne practises in the areas of Canadian tax and charity law. Mr. Milne regularly advises public and private businesses and their investors on acquisitions, financing, cross-border structuring and the design of employee compensation plans. He also frequently advises charitable and non-profit organizations on a wide range of matters, including charitable gifting and the structuring of developments using charitable assets.
Mr. Milne has served as a director of the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society and on the executive committee for the tax specialist section of the Canadian Bar Association (Alberta-South). Mr. Milne has also previously served as the president of the Sled Island Music and Arts Festival and Calgary's oldest artist-run gallery space, The New Gallery, and was formerly the chair of the community radio station, CJSW 90.9FM, where he hosted a weekly radio show for many years.
LL.B., University of Calgary, 2008
B.A., University of Calgary, 2005
- Alberta 2009
Mr. Milne's recent experience includes acting for:
- a large Canadian public company with respect to the acquisition of an international clothing manufacturer and retailer with operations in multiple jurisdictions;
- US and other foreign-based private equity groups regarding investments in various Canadian businesses focused in the healthcare, technology, retail and resource industries;
- a Canadian-based investment group on the acquisition of multiple portfolio companies across Canada and the United States;
- a flow-through limited partnership investing in Canadian renewable resources;
- a Canadian engineering firm in respect of employee compensation and shareholder matters;
- a subsidiary of a large US-based public corporation on disposing its significant Canadian assets;
- a post-secondary institution and registered charity on the commercial development of excess land holdings;
- a non-profit organization in the development of below-market housing;
- a large financial services company with a significant voluntary disclosure to the Canada Revenue Agency in respect of incorrect employee secure deductions; and
- a large commercial property owner with an objection to reassessments issued by the Canada Revenue Agency and an appeal to the Tax Court of Canada.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Charities/Non-Profit Law, Tax Law, 2023
- Named one of Avenue Magazine’s “Top 40 Under 40” in Calgary, 2011
- President’s Award for Excellence in Student Leadership
- Faculty of Law Silver Medallion (Campbell McLaurin Achievement Award)
- Dean’s List, Faculty of Law
- Alberta Law Foundation Award
- "Employee Stock Options and Other Equity-Based Incentives for Private Corporations," Canadian Tax Foundation, 2019.
- "Employee Stock Options and Other Equity-Based Incentives for Private Corporations," Canadian Tax Foundation, Calgary, 2019.
- "Non-Capital Losses After a Loss Restriction Event: Same or Similar Business," Canadian Petroleum Tax Society, Calgary, 2019.
- "While You Were Away: A Case Law Update," Canadian Bar Association, Calgary, 2018.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- International Fiscal Association
- Director, The Great Bar Band Battle Society
August 25, 2022
January 24, 2022
January 11, 2022
Webinar | May 17, 2022
Publication | April 13, 2022
Webinar | October 20, 2021
Webinar | April 01, 2021