Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Dylan McKimmie is a partner in our Perth office, and the leader of our oil and gas practice in Australia. He is also the co-leader of our energy practice in Australia.
Described by clients as "the most pragmatic and outcome-driven" litigator in Perth, Dylan works with clients in the energy, infrastructure and mining sectors throughout Australia and the Asia Pacific. Dylan acts for some of the world's largest oil and gas companies, Perth Airport, the ACCC and various Chinese companies that have invested in Australia.
Ranked by Best Lawyers in litigation (2013-2018), alternative dispute resolution (2014-2018), international arbitration (2016-2018) and competition law (2017-2018), Dylan's practice encompasses formal disputes, both international arbitration and court litigation, advising clients on managing contentious matters to avoid formal proceedings and assisting clients that are responding to critical incidents and regulatory interventions.
- Bachelor of Law, Queensland University of Technology 1994
- Supreme Court of Queensland 1996
- Supreme Court of Victoria 2003
- Supreme Court of Western Australia 2010
- High Court of Australia 1997
Energy (oil & gas)
- BP Australia Pty Ltd ats Velocity Frequent Flyer Pty Ltd  QSC 293 - successful outcome in dispute about the termination of a high profile commercial agreement.
- Oil & Gas Major – representing a USA headquartered Oil & Gas Major in defence of a $380m claim made in an arbitration arising out of a large scale LNG project.
- Oil & Gas Major – defending a USA headquartered Oil & Gas Major in defence of a $30m+ charter party arbitration. Settled for approximately 7% of the claim value.
- Oil & Gas Major – advising a USA headquartered Oil & Gas Major following a significant critical incident affecting a drilling rig on a large scale LNG project.
- Oil & Gas Major – advising a USA headquartered Oil & Gas Major in relation to fatality at sea in connection with a large scale LNG project.
- Oil & Gas Major – advising a Middle-East based Oil & Gas Major in relation to access arrangements.
- Oil & Gas Major – advising a USA headquartered Oil & Gas Major in relation to regulatory issues concerning airport access arrangements supporting a large scale LNG project.
- Oil & Gas Contractor – advising an international oil & gas contractor in relation to an arbitration concerning claims valued at in excess of $140m following the construction of critical infrastructure on a large scale LNG project.
- Bechtel & Ors ats BTAC  WASC 19 - successful outcome in defending a pre-action discovery application.
Infrastructure, mining & commodities
- Beijing Joseph Investment Co Ltd ats Cauldron Energy Ltd  WASC 22 - shareholder dispute concerning a uranium mine investment, successfully resisted most of the plaintiff's claims after being instructed on the eve of the trial.
- A confidential LCIA arbitration award published in favour of our client, a Chinese buyer of scrap steel (2012).
- AVS Property Pty Ltd v McMaster  FCAFC 81 - successful appeal in connection with the winding up of a managed investment scheme.
- Perth Airport ats Ridgepoint & Ors  WASCA 235 - successful appeal in a dispute about the meaning of a setlement deed.
- Perth Airport Pty Ltd ats BGC (Australia) Pty Ltd  FCA 60 - successful outcome in a claim about competing real property interests in the context of Federal regulations for Airports.
Technology & innovation
- A confidential Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration award published in favour of our client, an Australian buyer of industrial machinery supplied by a Chinese manufacturer (2015).
- TCL Air Conditioner (Zhongshan) Co Ltd v Judges of the Federal Court  HCA 5 - High Court challenge to the constitutional validity of the International Arbitration Act.
- TCL Air Conditioner (Zhongshan) Co Ltd ats Castel Electronics Pty Ltd - international arbitration award where our client, the respondent, was found liable for less than 10% of the claim value (2010).
- TCL Air Conditioner (Zhongshan) Co Ltd v Castel Electronics Pty Ltd  VSC 553 - successful challenge to an arbitral award conferring jurisdiction on certain claims.
Competition and Australian Consumer Law prosecutions
- ACCC v Aveling Homes Pty Ltd & Anor  FCA 1470
- ACCC v Snowdale Holdings Pty Ltd  FCA 834
- ACCC v DuluxGroup (Australia) Pty Ltd  FCA 1286
- ACCC v Snowdale Holdings Pty Ltd  FCA 541
- ACCC v CLA Trading Pty Ltd  FCA 377
- ACCC v Derodi Pty Ltd & Anor  FCA 365
- ACCC v RL Adams Pty Ltd  FCA 1016
- ACCC v Pirovic Enterprises Pty Ltd  FCA 1028
- ACCC v Domain Name Corp & Ors  FCA 1269
- Best Lawyers – Litigation, 2013–18
- Best Lawyers – Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2014–18
- Best Lawyers – International Arbitration, 2016–18
- Best Lawyers – Competition Law, 2017–18
Publication | November 11, 2019
Publication | September 05, 2019
Publication | October 2018
Publication | October 2018